"Southwest New Mexico" Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Travelogue by Basaic

New Mexico Travel Guide: 4,228 reviews and 10,430 photos

National Parks

There are two National Parks in Southwest New Mexico:

1. Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument (page coming soon)
2. White Sands National Monument (page coming soon)

There is also Fort Bayard which has a National Cemetery and the remains of the fort. Not an official "National Historic Site"; but. . .

State Parks

There are 8 State Parks in Southwest New Mexico:

1. Caballo Lake State Park (page coming soon)
2. City of Rocks State Park: Hike and camp in a unique landscape caused by a volcano about 33 million years ago. (see my page)
3. Elephant Butte Lake State Park (page coming soon)
4. Leasburg Dam State Park (page coming soon)
5. Mesilla Valley Bosque State Park (see my Mesilla Page)
6. Pancho Villa State Park: Learn about the last raid on US soil by a foreign power, the 1916 raid by followers of Pancho Villa. (see my page)
7. Percha Dam State Park (page coming soon)
8. Rockhound State Park (and its sister park Spring Canyon): Hike and collect rocks in the Small and Big Florida Mountain Ranges. (see my page)

Cities and Towns

There is one larger city, several smaller cities and lots of small towns in Southwest New Mexico:

Cities:
1. Alamogordo: White Sands; space; oldest zoo in New Mexico; several museums. (page coming soon)
2. Las Cruces: Large town at the intersection of Interstates 10 and 25; near El Paso, Texas. (see my page)
3. Deming: Home of a nice museum and a very nice County Court House. Near four state parks and other nice sites. Friendly people. (see my page)
4. Silver City: Home of a two nice museums and a historic district. Friendliest town in the state! Nice base for seeing the Gila Cliff Dwellings. (see my page)
5. Truth or Consequences: Nice museum, interesting name, historic hot springs. (page coming soon)

Towns:
1. Cloudcroft: (page coming soon)
2. Columbus: Home of Pancho Villa State Park and a decent historical museum. On the border with Mexico. (see my page)
3. Hillsboro: (page coming soon)
4. Hurley: I didn't see much here except a decent cafe. (see my page)
5. Kingston: (page coming soon)
6. Lake Valley Ghost Town: (page coming soon)
7. Lordsburg: One museum, average looking County Court House, very nice family restaurant. (see my page)
8. Pinos Altos: Tiny historic town with a museum, some nice historic buildings and a decent diner. (see my page)
9. Rodeo: Small town near the Arizona border. Good access to the recreational sites in the Chiricahua Mountains and to three Arizona Ghost Towns. (see my page)

Museums

Museums in Southwest New Mexico include:

1. Columbus: Columbus Historical Society Museum: Pretty nice display of the history of the raid by followers of Pancho Villa in 1916, "Blackjack" Pershing and other items related to the history of the area. (see my page)
2. Deming: The Deming Luna Mimbres Museum which is one of the most impressive ones in the area with an excellent collection of area history and an outstanding collection of Mimbres Pottery. (see my page)
3. Deming: The Custom House, where the US Government collected duty for goods brought into the country when the border was located near Deming. The border was moved south when the US obtained the Mesilla Strip from Mexico. (see my page)
4. Pancho Villa State Park: Pancho Villa State Park has a 7000 foot museum with lots of nice displays about the raid. (see my page)
5. Pinos Altos Museum: Decent little museum about the history of the area and period antiques. (see my page)
6. Silver City: Silver City is home to the Silver City Museum which is housed in a very pretty 1881 home. The museum has lots of nice displays and is well worth a visit. (see my page, in progress)
7. Silver City: West New Mexico University Museum has an impressive collection of pottery and art from area Native Americans along with historical displays. It was closed when I tried to visit so my information is limited.

Other Attractions

Shakespeare Ghost Town: Reamins of a secretive and lawless town with a long history. (see my page, expanding soon)
Steins Ghost Town: Remains of another old town along the Butterfield Stage Route with some history of mining. (see my page)

Best Places to Sleep; Eat; Party; etc

Best Hotels: Okay, I haven't stayed at any outstanding places in Southwest New Mexico yet. I did, however, find two perfectly acceptable budget hotels. 1) Western Motel in Deming. 2) Copper Manor Motel in Silver City.

Best Camping: I did not camp here but it looked like fun to camp at City of Rocks State Park, amongst those unique rock formations.

Best Food: Plama's Italian Grill in Deming.

Best Bar: The Watering Hole in Silver City.

Best Museums: 1) Luna Mimbres Museum in Deming; 2) Pancho Villa State Park Museum; 3) Silver City Museum.

Best Hikes: 1) The trail through the rocks at City of Rocks State Park; 2) Lover's Leap Trail at Spring Canyon State Park.

• Page Updated May 16, 2009

Comments

Basaic Visits Here Frequently!

Basaic

“As for me, I'll take the road less traveled.”

Badges & Stats in New Mexico

• 1,545 Photos

Have you been to New Mexico?

Latest Activity in New Mexico