"Oh Rats ... Again!(...cont.)" Bikaner Travelogue by travelinxs
Bikaner Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 341 photos
We took a local bus out to the small town of Deshnok to visit the Korni Matar temple. I definitely remembered going there before. I had been not just a little bit apprehensive about visiting a temple over-run with holy RATS!
Realising that, of course, it would be cruel to freak Juliet out by over-playing it, I told her, “For god’s sake, if one bites, don’t scream or panic. It will cause them all to attack en-mass. And having your legs lacerated by the fangs of over two thousand foot-long Indian rats is no joke!” And, “Oh… and try to walk through the temple with your knees together. They have an uncanny habit of running up people’s trouser legs!”
Having removed our sandals, Juliet tentatively stepped over the raised threshold and into the temple, now dreading what she had been previously looking forward to. I strode on in, feeling quite at ease. But then I already knew the rats were more like bloated mice and were so well fed by pilgrims, the last thing on their minds would be having a nibble on the feet of two sweaty cycle tourers.
Having padded around a while on rat crap, with holy offerings doused in rat pee squelching up through our toes, we left and took a moment to reflect with a glass of masala chai at a tea shop.
A day relaxing, cleaning the bikes and washing clothes and off south again.
We discovered our mug shots had appeared in a regional newspaper, with a write-up about our trip in Hindi. This was handy, as we could now show it to whoever wanted to know about what we were up to but couldn’t understand English.
The three day ride to our next destination was pleasant enough, cruising the ever increasing undulating desert hills in the scorching heat, lost to the mesmerizing vista of rural India, with fitting soundtracks from my MP3 player.
travelinxs' Related Pages
Bikaner Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bikaner- Desert Caravanserai"
- "Camel Country of Bikaner"
- "Radjasthan - Bikaner - the western part of India"
- "Bikaner - a Palace and a rat temple!"
- "Bikaner-Royalty in full splendour"
- "Bikaner and the Famous Rat Temple"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bikaner
- Hotels in Bikaner
- Transportation in Bikaner
- Restaurants in Bikaner
- Shopping in Bikaner
- Warnings and Dangers in Bikaner
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bikaner
- 0 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Bikaner?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bikaner
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 36 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 38 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sri Lanka Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Devon Intro, 27 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mount Everest Intro, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Mexico Intro, 27 photos, 4 travelogues
- Jaisalmer 25 photos, 5 travelogues
- India Intro, 18 reviews, 4 photos
Latest Bikaner hotel reviews
- Bhanwar Niwas
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- Sagar Hotel
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Shri Ram Guest House Bikaner
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Vijay Guest House
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Vinayak Guest House
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- Gajner Palace Hotel
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Harasar Haveli
- 160 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Laxmi Niwas Palace
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013