"Choices Choices" Puerto Limón Travelogue by grandmaR

Puerto Limón Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 44 photos

I had signed up to do two excursions - the 7 am Tortugero Canal trip (easy) which I wanted to revisit from our trip 12 years ago and the noon Aerial Canopy zip line (listed as hard) which Bob had expressed an interest in. Both 4.5 hours. But we got a notice that they changed our time on the Aerial Canopy to 7:15 which meant the excursions were at the same time. I asked to switch to the afternoon canal trip and they said that was full. Bob first said he wouldn't go on an excursion without me, so, since I wasn't absolutely sure I could handle the Aerial Canopy zip line (not the height but the climb to get there), a picked to skip that one and take the canal. After I did that, Bob indicated that he would have done the zip line by himself.

Oh well

We had to change our clocks back because CR is central time zone, and meet in the theatre at 0650. Some of the tours - like the ones to San Jose where they had a 2.5 hour bus trip going to the city and coming back from the city - had an even earlier departure. Several of the people on that tour left a wake-up call for 0430. Except that the wake-up call software wasn't changed to central time, so everyone was called at 0430 eastern time. Boy were they unhappy.

I changed the computer time, but not my watch or the camera.

I did want to see when we came into Puerto Limon because the Lighthouse Directory said there was a harbor light there, but no description of location. So I was out on deck early to see if I could see it. Eventually, I figured out that the light was in front of the big cranes of the commercial pier next to it.

We had breakfast in the Lido as the dining room wasn't open that early. From the Lido deck, we watched as the line handlers complained that the ship was not giving them the big dock lines, but was sending over wire cable.

They gave us our stickers early and we walked down the dock and got onto the bus first and sat in the first seat behind the guide, whose name was Ivan. On the other side were seats for handicapped. It was a kneeling bus.

The next section under Tortuguero

When we got back, we ate lunch in the Lido because the dining room wasn't open.

After Trivia (which we didn't win again), I went up to the top deck

to look at where there were hammocks - it was an area for teens only. Since there were no teens on board, it was deserted

We watched the sail-away

We went to dinner in the dining room although the Lido was having a BBQ. I had the escargot, blueberry soup and Tagliatelle Nuevo. Bob had the papaya fan with kiwi, the blue berry soup and cornish game hen, but he had trouble getting the carrots to go down and left dinner before dessert.

Tomorrow is the stop at San Andreas Colombia

• Page Updated Mar 1, 2009

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Puerto Limón

Have you been to Puerto Limón?

Latest Activity in Puerto Limón