"My greatest under visited locations" Personal Page by JLBG
In 2007, Ingrid (Trekki), built on her homepage an album entitled : « Join the club - Kings of non-Top5 Destinations :-) »
Recently (December 18, 2008) Drew (hundwalder) initiated a thread « The VT destination pages least travelled by ! »
In both cases, the query was the same: how to improve the visibility of excellent pages that receive little or few visits because their name is unknown of other Vters. Finally the idea arose that each of us would build an album on their HP to present pages (their own’s and other’s) that fulfill this criterion and would tell Ingrid.
I will actually build three albums.
The first one is the present one. I will present here a very stern selection of my pages on outstanding locations that have few visitors and consequently few pages on VT. I have limited it at one location per country.
The second album will present a wider selection, again of my own pages, on locations that deserve to have more visitors.
The third album will give links with the pages from fellow Vters that belong to the same kind.
As they are out of the beaten path, you cannot rely on public transport to visit them but all of them but one are easily reached (the exception: Tassili n'Ajjer National Park). Once I had processed to the selection, I found that 5 out of 9 were World Heritage sites. I did not select them on this criterion.
My 9 greatest under visited locations*
Europe > Albania > Dhërmi and the Albanian riviera . A strip of narrow and winding road with outstanding landscapes all along the way (photo above)
Europe > Croatia > Beram, a hidden marvel. The interior of a small chapel are decorated from floor to ceiling with amazing frescoes painted by Vincent of Kastav in 1474.
Europe > Slovenia, 30km north to Beram, Hrastovlje has a very different Danse Macabre painted in 1490 by John of Kastav, son of Vincent.
Europe > France > La Couvertoirade , a mediaeval village in excellent condition, reflecting Templars military power and Hospitalier daily life.
Europe > Greece > Figalia, the Temple of Apollo Epikourios in Bassai, a World Heritage site (the first Greek site to be inscribed on the World Heritage List, in1986). The temple is the twin to the Parthenon but with no crowd.
Europe > Ireland > Great and Small Skellig, a World Heritage site. Since the early Middle Ages, monks have lived on this isolated island, clung on a tiny rock. The path to the hermitage is breathtaking.
Europe > Italy > Avigliana, Sacra di San Michele, another breathtaking monastery standing on top of a rock, in the middle of the Alps.
Europe > France > Mont Saint Michel, “Merveille de l’Occident” is a third, equally breathtaking, monastery, dedicated to St Michael.
According to some theories, all three places, together with several others are linked on an amazing St Michael-Apollo Axis. If that is not true, that was well coined!
Africa > Algeria >Tassili n'Ajjer National Park, a World Heritage site with thousands of rock paintings and rock carvings dating from the Neolithic. This site can only be reached by a trek lead by an authorized guide, either with camels or with donkeys
Africa > Tunisia > Dougga, a World Heritage site, an ancient Romans city with incredibly well preserved monuments and few visitors.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Cape Coral Hotels
- Tettegouche State Park Hotels
- Isla de Tenerife
- Rangpo Hotels
- State of Rajasthan Hotels
- Kruger National Park
- Provincia de Manabí
- Morant Bay Hotels
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Province of Abra Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
“I believe that tourists are very valuable to the modern world. It is very difficult to hate people you know. (Steinbeck)”
- Member Rank:
- 0 0 0 0 2
- Forum Rank:
- 0 0 2 3 9
- Real Name
- Grenoble, France
- Member Since
- Jan 21, 2004
- 6,088 Reviews
- 10,928 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats
- 6,088 Reviews
- 10,928 Photos
- 19 Countries
- 257 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
- Commented on JLBG's profile page
- JLBG and rosata are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- updated a Fushe-Kruje Travel Page "An amazing place though not in guidebooks!"
updated their Profile Page "My travels"
- Wrote a Review Restored monastery in Sighnaghi Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Restored monastery"
PhotosSee All Photos (10928)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22172 Reviews - 53908 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15524 Reviews - 30894 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23065 Reviews - 47272 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1928 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8349 Reviews - 17018 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1909 Reviews - 4475 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7646 Reviews - 19527 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos