"JARRANGBARNMI 1 - THE ROAD FROM MARY RIVER" Kakadu National Park Travelogue by kiwi
Kakadu National Park Travel Guide: 274 reviews and 971 photos
We set off from our Mary River base, headed for the Gunlom Area, and Jarrangbarnmi - Koolpin Gorge. For the first time we were armed with our swimming gear hoping to find a swimming hole safe from crocodiles.
You will need a permit and gate key to enter and camp or just visit the Koolpin Gorge, which is obtainable from the Mary River Roadhouse, and entry is restricted to small numbers. You also need to keep to the road, and at the gorge to keep to the water areas to avoid entering sacred burial sights nearby.
Entry to Gunlom can be done all year but Koolpin is restricted to the Dry season for obvious reasons.
Every year the roads need to have a bit of work done to get them open for the coming dry season. We were the first group in after the rangers and came across this machinery that had been clearing things.
We stopped at the river crossing to take photos, and just generally take in the location. Constant driving sometimes transports you through magical corners far too speedily, even though you are not travelling fast. We photographed the river, the vehicles, the locality and the wildlife. These were, after all, to be lifetime memories of what we were experiencing.
As you can see, the river wasn't all brown like the previous photos. And we were ever aware that this was the home of crocodiles, so constant alertness was necessary. We had heard the story of the German tourist killed by a croc in recent years!
kiwi's Related Pages
Kakadu National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kakadu and Arnhem Land with "VT Survivor""
- "Kakadu National Park"
- "VT Darwin Survivor Outback Trip 2008"
- "Magnificent Wetlands - Birdlife, Crocodiles"
- "Kakadu National Park - Australia's Best"
- "Kakadu National Park"
- "Kakadu National Park - A Special Place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kakadu National Park
- Hotels in Kakadu National Park
- Transportation in Kakadu National Park
- Restaurants in Kakadu National Park
- Shopping in Kakadu National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kakadu National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kakadu National Park
- 3 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Kakadu National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kakadu National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Inspired by the VT Member..."
- updated a Kakadu National Park Travel Page "KAKADU NATIONAL PARK - WORLD HERITAGE STATUS"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Kakadu National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "KAKADU NATIONAL PARK - WORLD HERITAGE STATUS"
- Uploaded a Video to Kakadu National Park
- Wrote a Review How to Use Emergency Radios in Kakadu National Park Warnings and Dangers
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 38 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues