"Old Georgetown--The Historic District" Georgetown Travelogue by VeronicaG

Georgetown Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 182 photos

701 Main Street

This picturesque building was constructed in 1900--notice its onion dome spire. Upstairs was used as a Masonic Lodge, while first a drugstore, then a post office and later a furniture store claimed the downstairs area. Romeo's restaurant is now situated here.

719 Main Street

The Dimmitt Building was erected around 1890. This is considered a Victorian commercial buildilng, with its hand-hewn limestone cast iron and pressed metal embellishments created by Mesker Brothers ironworks. Members of the Dimmitt family still own the building.

711 & 715 Main Street

The small white building on the left sits on the site of the first county courthouse (1848). Later, John H Shafer erected this hand-hewn limestone building for his business, Shafer Saddlery. His living quarters was upstairs.

The Evans Building is next door to the right, it was constructed in 1902 from hand-hewn limestone and is in the Romanesque Revival style.

119 W. 7th Street & 117 W. 7th Street

This building was constructed in 1885 and remodeled in 1896 by M.B. Lockett, a dry good merchant. It's an example of High Victorian commercial architecture and has castiron columns, oriel windows and decorative pressed metal cornice. Mesker Brothers ironworks is responsible for the impressive details.

The small white and blue building next door was first used as a grocery store. It has a wooden storefront, recessed doubledoor entry and decorative metal cornice--it's an example of a typical early commercial building.

800 Austin Ave.

815 S. Main Street

This divine little chapel (circa 1881-3) and is now the Grace Heritage Center, a venue for weddings or other special occasion events. It features stained glass windows, a bell tower and antique pews.

410 East University Ave.

Circuit riders once served the community before this church was erected in 1891-92. The building is made of native limestone, hand cut at this location.

Surprisingly, the architect and supervisor was Robert S. Hyer, a physics professor from Southwestern University. The floor plan is that of the Greek cross.

  • Page Updated Oct 20, 2008
  • Add to Trip Planner (?)
  • Report Abuse

Comments

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Online Now

Female

Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 0 4 5
Forum Rank:
0 5 0 7 9

Badges & Stats in Georgetown

  • 24 Reviews
  • 68 Photos
  • 0 Forum posts
  • 9 Comments
  • 1,603PageViews

Have you been to Georgetown?

  Share Your Travels  

Travel Interests

See All Travel Interests (5)