"Hiking in Macedonia" Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Macedonia Travelogue by Pijlmans
Republic of Macedonia Travel Guide: 3,283 reviews and 12,048 photos
Macedonia is a perfect country for hiking. It has many mountains and hills, and a lot of churches, monuments and scenic places to visit during the hikes.
Unfortunately, it is still hard to get information about the trails, and descriptions are hard to find, if they already exist.
More and more tracks for outdoor GPS devices become available, making it easier to find good hiking trails. I bought my first GPS device in 2011, a Garmin Dakota 20, and here you can find the tracks I did in Macedonia.
The website mkdmount.org used to have a lot of GPS tracks in addition to information about the mountains. Unfortunately they are offline. An overview including a map of their and other GPS tracks in Macedonia can be found at http://www.gpsies.com/.
The hikes that I have done are scattered over individual pages, tips and travelogues. On this page you will find all of them together.
GPS hike from the Millenium Cross on Mount Vodno to Lake Matka (13 km)
Hike to the Church of St Nikola at Lake Matka.
Hike from St Bogorodica to St Andrea at Lake Matka.
Hike along Lake Matka.
More hiking trails around Lake Matka.
Hike on Mount Vodno and from Mount Vodno to Lake Matka.
You can also walk in the Gazi Baba Woods, and in the City Park of Skopje.
GPS hike to Magaro Peak (8.5 km) in Galicica National Park.
GPS hike from Elshani to Konjsko (16 km) through Galicica National Park
GPS hike from Velestovo (16 km) through Galicica National Park
One of the nicest hikes I did in Macedonia: GPS-recorded and marked hike Vevcani ? Gorna Belica ? Crn Kamen Peak ? Lake Lokva ? Vevcani (20 km). Also see Information about hiking trails near Vevcani.
GPS-recorded round trip from Ohrid to Velgosti via Ramne (16 km).
Hike from the Livada Pass to Lako Signoj Summit in Galicica National Park.
Hike to the Church of St Spas in Galicica National Park.
Short walk around the town wall of Ohrid
Additionally, there is a mountain bike trail in the Galicica National Park near Ohrid that could be walked.
A short but beautiful walk from the village Visni to the Cave Church of St Spas
Hike to the Monastery of St Spas near Vevcani.
Via Egnatia Trail close to Gorna Belica
Hiking map of Galicica National Park
GPS hike to the Ruen Peak (12 km) near Kriva Palanka.
GPS hike to Lake Kalin Kamen (9 km) near Kriva Palanka.
GPS walk to the Hermitage of St Joakim Osogovski (2 km) near Kriva Palanka.
GPS hike to the Ograzhden Peak (18 km) between Berovo and Strumica.
More information about hikes near Berovo.
GPS-recorded hike from Demir Kapija to the village Koresnica (13 km).
Short hike from the Monastery of St George to Marko's Tower (750 m) near Valandovo.
An easy GPS-recorded round trip to St Ilija and the Czar?s Towers (6.5 km) starting in Strumica.
GPS-recorded and marked hike from the village Bituse to Golem Krchin Peak (13 km) in Mavrovo National Park.
Hike in Pelister National Park, close to Bitola.
Hike from Prilep to the Monastery of Treskovec.
GPS hike from the village Maloviste to Monastery of St Ana (2 km) near Pelister National Park
Hike from the Monastery of St Spas in Trstenik to Krusevo. This trail is not marked or described, but might be obvious for the experienced hiker.
Hike on Jakupica Mountain.
A hike to the Kup Cave and Ajducka Cave near Stip.
Climbing Mount Korab.
Trails leading to the monasteries of Mount Baba in Pelister National Park
WARNING: In August and September 2012 the Macedonian government proclaimed a ban to enter the forests in a desperate effort to prevent forest fires. Fines could go up to 3000 euro.
Sometimes it was possible, but very complicated, to get a permit to enter the forests. However, it was impossible to get a permit for e.g. Galicica National Park.
Keep this in mind when you want to go hiking in Macedonia in the future, since hiking may be made impossible again by the Macedonian authorities in case of the possibility of forest fires.
You may find more info on the website of the Macedonian Forest authority :http://www.mkdsumi.com.mk/
More Travelogues (2)
Written May 9, 2016
Pelister National Park Hike Part 1 of 2
Written May 9, 2016
Pelister National Park Hike Part 2 of 2
- See All 91 days in Macedonia
- See All Monastery accommodation in Macedonia
- See All Paths leading to the monasteries of...
- See All Monastery of St Bogorodica in Slivnica
- See All Health Insurance
Pijlmans' Related Pages
Republic of Macedonia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Te Sakam Macedonia!"
- "FYR OF MACEDONIA"
- "Macedonia - Country of Charming Extremes"
- "Smiles sent from Sunny MACIE"
- "Mnogu ja sakam Makedonjia!"
- "Macedonia the land of the sun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Republic of Macedonia
- Hotels in Republic of Macedonia
- Transportation in Republic of Macedonia
- Nightlife in Republic of Macedonia
- Restaurants in Republic of Macedonia
- Shopping in Republic of Macedonia
- Warnings and Dangers in Republic of Macedonia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Republic of Macedonia
- 917 Reviews
- 4,186 Photos
- 324 Forum posts
- 62 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Republic of Macedonia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Republic of Macedonia
- Posted in Travel Isla de Tenerife Forum "Re: Best places to hike on..."
- updated a Republic of Macedonia Travel Page "Te Sakam Macedonia!"
- Commented on one of Pijlmans's Republic of Macedonia travelogues
- Wrote a Review 91 days in Macedonia in Republic of Macedonia Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Monastery accommodation in Macedonia"
- Uploaded a Video to Republic of Macedonia
Videos in Republic of MacedoniaSee All Videos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 133 reviews, 571 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 109 reviews, 388 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Macedonia Intro, 110 reviews, 366 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stip Intro, 44 reviews, 243 photos, 9 travelogues
- Strumica Intro, 36 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kratovo Intro, 29 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zutphen Intro, 43 reviews, 132 photos
- Stobi Intro, 21 reviews, 143 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 48 reviews, 110 photos
- Borger Intro, 34 reviews, 119 photos