"Medina guided tour" Top 5 Page for this destination Tunisia Travelogue by Elisabcn
Tunisia Travel Guide: 4,883 reviews and 13,264 photos
The Medina of Tunis has a lot of hidden treasures and its difficult to discover if you only spend few days in the city. During Ramadan nights (on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday) there are very beautiful guided tours. Following the guide you will enter in another world full of arched and narrow alleys, beautiful decorated palaces, unknown mosques and zawouias, most of them from the XVIIth-XVIIth century. I could not immagine that there was so much to see!. The explanations are very good and during this trip you will learn a lot about Tunis’ history, arts and local customs. The duration of the tour is about two hours
The meeting point is at Al Diwan (Dar-el-Jeld street). Even if the illumination is not the best one the you will visit very suggestive places
From the XVIIth and XVIIIth century, most of them are used nowadays as art galleries
Comfortable rooms with nice decoration, you can easily immagine how was their owners's life at that time.
Ceramics are very beautiful and they fill the spaces with bright colors and designs. Some of them, even if they follow the arabic style, are from Andalucia (Spain)
These places are impossible to find if you are not accompanied by a local. The decoration is simple but very very beautiful. Illuminated by soft light they look special.
This palace is used nowadays as an arabic calligraphy school. The oval cupola is very rare and beautiful at the same time
- See All A pseudo troglodyte hotel :-))))
- See All Chemtou: looking for golden . . . stones...
- See All Sfax: the business city in Tunisia
- See All Nice excursion to Cap Bon: Al Haouria
- See All How to avoid police controls
Elisabcn's Related Pages
Tunisia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From the other side of the Mediterranean . . ."
- "Aslaama Tunisia"
- "Tunisia - From the Mediterranean to the Sahara"
- "Nice Tunisia !"
- "Tunisia - North African jewel with lots of history"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tunisia
- Hotels in Tunisia
- Transportation in Tunisia
- Nightlife in Tunisia
- Restaurants in Tunisia
- Shopping in Tunisia
- Warnings and Dangers in Tunisia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tunisia
- 166 Reviews
- 390 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Tunisia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tunisia
- Commented on one of DAO's Tunisia travel pages
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Isn't it time for new photos..."
- updated a Tunisia Travel Page "From the other side of the Mediterranean . . ."
- Wrote a Review A pseudo troglodyte hotel :-)))) in Tunisia Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sbeitla: the independentist :-))"
- Uploaded a Video to Tunisia
Videos in TunisiaSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunisia Intro, 140 reviews, 341 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 36 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jordan Intro, 30 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 48 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 35 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 45 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île-de-France Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bahir Dar Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
Top Tunisia hotels
- Hammamet Hotels
- 174 Reviews - 440 Photos
- Sousse Hotels
- 326 Reviews - 933 Photos
- Tunis Hotels
- 329 Reviews - 1050 Photos
- Monastir Hotels
- 84 Reviews - 344 Photos
- Douz Hotels
- 135 Reviews - 304 Photos
- Mahdia Hotels
- 43 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Tozeur Hotels
- 97 Reviews - 215 Photos
- Ile de Jerba Hotels
- 224 Reviews - 619 Photos
- Sidi Bou Said Hotels
- 105 Reviews - 315 Photos
- Nefta Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Zarzis Hotels
- 11 Hotels
- Matmata Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 251 Photos
- Carthage Hotels
- 134 Reviews - 494 Photos
- Al Marsa Hotels
- 9 Hotels
- Zaghouan Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 13 Photos