"Spring Explosion in the Botanic Garden/Hagley Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Travelogue by Kakapo2
Christchurch Travel Guide: 1,239 reviews and 2,600 photos
When the calendar tells you spring has started do not waste any time and go to the Botanic Garden. There are some areas the people are flocking to, locals and visitors as well, and everybody falls into a photo mania. The reason for this are the huge fields of all kinds of daffodils, totally yellow ones, yellow ones with orange centres, white ones with yellow and orange centres, totally white ones... Just all species you can imagine. And the Botanic Garden and adjoining Hagley Park are surrounded by flowering cherry trees. An orgy of colour and new life.
The biggest fields are on the Riccarton side of the Botanic Garden, just next to the entrance on this side, on Riccarton Avenue (after the roundabout coming from Deans Avenue). The fields continue along the right side of the Avon that meanders through the Garden. On the other side of Riccarton Avenue, at the northern end of South Hagley Park, are more daffodil fields. A third good spot is Little Hagley Park which is north of North Hagley Park, north of Harper Avenue.
If you pose within the daffodils, please take care only to sit in flower-free patches of the lawn, do not trample the daffodils down, and when you walk in, walk slalom or like a stork ;-)
The yellow daffodils with the orange centres are the most striking species.
Punters on the Avon are also delighted to be surrounded by all those daffodils.
Best to start your punting tour on the Avon at the Antigua Boatsheds.
Along Riccarton Avenue, between the roundabout of Riccarton Road/Deans Avenue and Christchurch Hospital. On the other side of the street you see cherry trees with pink blossoms in front of such trees with white blossoms.
More Travelogues (26)
- See All The new after-quake double-decker city...
- See All Produce and fruit fresh from the orchard
- See All Local transport after the earthquakes
- See All Pure indulgence
- See All Scared Scriptless comedy show
- See All Accommodation after the February...
- See All Christchurch Heroes
- See All Tour Buses are no Banksafes
- See All Mountain Biking in the Port Hills on a...
- See All Succulent Steaks and Divine Desserts
- See All A new Maori Experience on the Styx River
- See All KoTane have found a new Source of Income
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Christchurch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shaken but not beaten: A city rising from ruins"
- "My Home - The (Shakey) Garden City"
- "Over Looking Lyttelton Harbour"
- "Charming Christchurch"
- "My winter holiday in summer"
- "Christchurch - Gateway to the South Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Christchurch
- Hotels in Christchurch
- Transportation in Christchurch
- Nightlife in Christchurch
- Restaurants in Christchurch
- Shopping in Christchurch
- Warnings and Dangers in Christchurch
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Christchurch
- 244 Reviews
- 604 Photos
- 152 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (120)
Have you been to Christchurch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Christchurch
- Commented on one of Kakapo2's Christchurch travel pages
- updated a Christchurch Travel Page "Shaken but not beaten: A city rising from ruins"
- Posted in Travel Australia Forum "Re: tourist visa"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Press Building – better than The Press LOL"
- Wrote a Review The new after-quake double-decker city tours in Christchurch Things to Do
Photos in ChristchurchSee All Photos (604)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 244 reviews, 606 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 124 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 93 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton Intro, 65 reviews, 170 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Coast Intro, 68 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm Intro, 55 reviews, 152 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 72 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 49 reviews, 102 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
Latest Christchurch hotel reviews
- Airport Plaza Christchurch Hotel
- 270 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- Foley Towers
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Chateau on the Park Christchurch
- 235 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 1, 2013
- Pacific Park Hotel Christchurch
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 15, 2013
- Riccarton Village Inn
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Rolleston House YHA Hostel
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Papanui Court Motel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2013
- Aotea Motel Christchurch
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013
- Designer Cottage
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 5, 2013
- Poplars Apartment Hotel
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 19, 2011
- Belle Bonne Motel Christchurch
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2013
- Heartland Hotel Cotswold
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Vagabond Backpackers
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 20, 2013
- Ferry Motel Christchurch
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2012