"Crossing Misamis Occidental: Dipolog to Pagadian" Pagadian City Travelogue by barefootroamer

Pagadian City Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 60 photos

Manila to Dipolog

This is God's birthday gift to me - an unplanned but much dreamed about tour of the Philiipine islands. On July 9, 2008, we boarded Philippine Airlines for an almost one and a half hour travel to Dipolog, the capital City of Zamboanga del Norte. After filling our grumbling stomach with seafood laden lunch at the Kamayan ni Nanay along the coastal road of Dapitan City, we took the 10 to 12 kilometers long and winding road to Dakak, a well developed beach resort with amenities like a swimming pool, casino, a golf course and well manicured landscaped gardens. It is the only white sand beach I had seen among the many coves in that area.

Rizal Shrine, Dapitan

Of course my Dapitan City sojourn would not be complete without a visit to Rizal Shrine - the place of Rizal's three year-exile. His house (a replica) has two stairs leading to three verandas that surround the big sala and a small bedroom which is the only area with the window sheets for privacy . A small hut just before the landing of the left stairs served as his kitchen. The left veranda is continuous to the bridge that connects to the antipolo type toilet.

When I was taking the picture of his bed, I felt Rizal's spirit permeating in the atmosphere. That was also the time when a woman dressed in long white dress - a Rizalista - went beside me and with much reverence informed me that it was the same bed Rizal used in his three year stay here. The whole area of Rizal's exile land is surrounded by the sea in front and by hills around.

In the middle of the hill at the back of his house, Rizal created a basin that catches the water coming from the spring thus serving as his swimming pool. The water from this pool drains to the irrigation system that he built to water his crops. The hills can be reached via several stairs. Bridges connect the hills and the huts that serve as poultry house on one side and the huts on the other side that serve as hospital.

On flat grounds are the huts which served as his clinic, and dormitory for his students. The heart-shaped stone in the middle of small lagoon served as the place for his trysts with Josephine Bracken. It also overlooks the area where the river delta meets the sea where the Spanish soldiers took him when he was transferred to Fort Santiago. RIZAL INDEED IS AN INDOMITABLE SPIRIT.

Misamis Occidental

July 10, 2008 9:00 AM we left the lush mountains of Zamboanga del Norte. They said I would appreciate the sceneries if we were to take the cross country route from Zamboanga del Norte to Pagadian Zamboanga del Sur, BUT the rugged terrains might make me useless for the rest of the day. To maintain my sanity for the scheduled 6 PM lecture that I am supposed to give, they opted that we take the long 5 to 6 hour trip along the coastal roads of Misamis Occidental.

Most of the times, we found ourself travelling alone along the well paved coastal highway of Oroquieta, the capital city of Misamis Occidental. A far cry from the traffic I almost always experience when we travel along the highways of Bulacan, Pampanga and Nueva Ecija. It was then that I agreed that despite the long route, this would turn out to be a pleasure and leisure drive.

I specifically requested that we stop over the famed centuries old church of Jimenez. It was so unfortunate that we were not able to go inside. we were told to come back at 1:30 because the guard was taking his break. Well, obviously that was not feasible. Given enough time, I would have also requested that we go to the tideland white sand island that dissapears during high tides. The Dolphin site in the boundary of Jimenez and Tigdok where a zoo would soon rise is being developed to be a tourist destination. Well, it is already up to Louie Azcona if we will be lucky enough to be there some other time.

Ozamis City, Misamis Occidental

1:30 PM: We had our lunch at Chicken Atiatihan in Ozamis City. After loading our tummy with chicken barbecue, pochero, sisig, chicken skin, mango shake costing us less than 600 pesos for 4 persons , we proceeded to Cota - an Intramuros like Spanish portress along the sea. It was also used by the constabularies of America and Japan when they occupied the Philippines.

It is here that I bought 7 species of waling waling (having which is one of Nanay's ultimate dreams) and 4 species of cattleya ...to complete the orchidarium of Nanay. Bringing these orchids to Manila would require a permit.

Fuerte Dela Concepcion Y Del Triunfo

Inside the cota is the image of the blessed virgin Mary Dela Concepcion Y Del Triunfo or simply called as Virgen sa Cota which is a historical, cultural and pilgrimage destination. Being there five days before its feast day (July 16), I took the opportunity to pray for intercession for continuous outpouring of God's graces to my family

Ozamis City to Dipolog

From Ozamis City, the road went steeply up. When we reached the peak we were welcomed by a rain shower indicating that we were already in Zamboanga del Sur. BUt I was puzzled by the tricycle with the side car tilted up... there must be something wrong in the way it was built...but the driver seemed so at ease...wala bang prublema Dong?

Pagadian City

I could not really fathom why, until from up the hill came the site of Pagadian City. Steep road going straight into the sea. Now, I can not imagine how a normally placed sidecar could go down that road without tumbling down or without throwing the passengerout. Of all the cities we passed through ...from Dapitan City to Dipolog, Oroquieta, Ozamis ... Pagadian City is a set apart for it is a city in the real sense of the word...wide paved roads, buildings, big establishment like Jolibee, Chowking, malls, soon to rise Gaisano and tertiary state of the art hospital... yet the air is pure, the environment so rustic...Well, why do I live in Manila?..I have yet to seek for answers...ask for God's purpose why I live in a polluted and traffic laden place like Manila...

Mindanao's evergreen forest

Mindanao is so beautiful, so pristine, so rich ...no wonder people are fighting for their right to own it.

I went home to Vision st. Sta Cruz Manila with nice experiences, lasting memories and with 2 white tee-shirts from Rizal shrine in Dapitan City, 24 bottles of spanish sardines from Dipolog City, dangit and daing na pusit from Pagadian City ... all tucked with me FOR FREE...God is indeed so good. HE KNOWS THE DESIRES OF MY HEART. For the little things that I do for other people in HIS name, he returns more than a hundredfold.

• Page Updated Sep 6, 2008

Comments

barefootroamer

“The best thing in life is for free”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Pagadian City

Have you been to Pagadian City?

Latest Activity in Pagadian City