"Wedding Party - August 1 to August 4" East Haven Travelogue by grandmaR

East Haven Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 72 photos

August 1, 2008

There was still quite a bit of traffic on I-95 in CT. We were supposed to go to the groom's sister's house for a buffet at 6, but at 6 we were still on the west side of New Haven and had not checked into the motel yet. So I called my daughter and then we went and checked in.

We went to Friendlies for dinner - we could have walked but I did not see where it was, so we drove. On the way back I saw our son's car outside his room but he and his kids and my daughter and her daughter had gone to Chili's for dinner instead. This daughter flew from TX to Boston and then drove down.

After the groom's family's dinner, the bride's mother and father were going back to Hartford with the bride and groom. My other daughter was going to drive down from Boston with her family tomorrow.

August 2 - morning

The next morning we met up with our son and daughter at breakfast. (The motel has a free breakfast.) We went over and talked to the guy who gave out travel literature in the trolley by the entrance ramp. He was hard to get away from.

My son and his kids and the bride's brother were going to sit around the pool. Our daughter and her kid came with us - we were going to try to see the lighthouse at Lighthouse Point.

First, we got lost because I made a mistake of thinking I had to get on I-95 (I didn't - I just needed to go out the back of the motel) and ended up taking an impromptu tour of New Haven. When we finally got to Lighthouse Park, there was a very long line and also a steep admission fee for someone from out of town, so we bailed and drove up to Nathan Hale Park.

We first ended up at the fishing pier, and when we walked out on it, we could see two lighthouses in the distance. One was Southwest Ledge Light, and the other was the New Haven Breakwater Light. My granddaughter collected shells and stones on the beach, which she doesn't get a chance to do much, living in TX as she does. The fisherman told me that there was a fort that we could see around the next corner so we went there. This was a very nice little park.

It was getting quite cloudy, so we went back to the motel and walked over to Chili's for lunch. It POURED rain while we were eating there. When it let up a little, we walked back to the motel.

The Wedding - August 2

I took a nap, and then showered and got ready to go to the wedding which was at 6 on the beach at Anthony's. They had a shuttle over there, but we also could have driven ourselves. Everything was very lovely.

After the wedding we had cocktails outside, and then we came in for a sit-down dinner. After the dinner there was dancing and the usual festivities that go with a wedding.

August 3 - Mystic in the Morning

We had breakfast at the hotel in the morning. Our son and the bride's family were driving home today, but I figured I couldn't leave without doing some touring, and my other two daughters were supposed to fly out of Boston tomorrow. We all went to Mystic. Our TX daughter went to the aquarium first. We went to Mystic Seaport. I had intended to go to Stonington and then come back to the Seaport, but I got us lost again, so we stopped at the Information Center and got maps and directions. We also bought our tickets so we didn't have to stand in line when we got there.

I remember going to Mystic Seaport in 1972 in the winter with my two older girls. Some of the things were just as I remembered. We walked all around the ships and little town buildings. I took pictures of the lighthouse. We met our 2nd daughter and her family - she was also there. Then we took the water taxi back to the beginning, and walked out to the parking lot thinking we would find somewhere to have lunch - it was now about 1300 (1:00 p.m.)

August 3 - Stonington for the Lighthouse

We didn't find any place to stop and eat before we got to Stonington. We drove down the narrow streets to the end of the point and parked and walked up the hill to the lighthouse. We toured that and I took some pictures. We were there from about 1315 to 1345.

When we left Stonington and got back to the highway, Bob thought we should turn right to get to New London and I thought we should turn left. He was SURE, and he usually knows. But he was wrong in this case. It was almost two (1400) and we were close to the RI border before we found a Subway and could get lunch.

August 3 - More Lighthouses in the Afternoon

After lunch I wanted to see the lighthouses at New London and Groton. I knew the Groton lighthouse was on the grounds of the University of CT. When we got there I discovered that I could see three lighthouses from this location. Not only could we see the Avery Point Lighthouse, but the New London Harbor or Pequot Lighthouse was across the river, and the New London Ledge lighthouse was outside the harbor. Way in the distance I identified the Race Rock Lighthouse. There were also a lot of sculptures on the point.

We drove back to the motel, and decided that we wanted to go someplace different for dinner, so we drove around East Haven up and down the main street, and eventually settled on Tolli's for dinner. Bob had spaghetti and I had the fried raviloi special

August 4 - Driving home

  • Page Updated May 9, 2016
  • Add to Trip Planner (?)
  • Report Abuse



“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Online Now


Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 0 2 5
Forum Rank:
0 0 0 6 5

Badges & Stats in East Haven

  • 9 Reviews
  • 56 Photos
  • 0 Forum posts
  • 997PageViews

Have you been to East Haven?

  Share Your Travels  

Latest Activity in East Haven

Travel Interests

See All Travel Interests (5)