"Visiting Ancestral Graves" Henderson Travelogue by grandmaR
Henderson Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 88 photos
We invited my son's daughter (age 12) to come for a visit. She had swim team meets up to the middle of July, so we decided that she should come up from SC to MD just before her first cousin (my oldest granddaughter - age 26) got married in CT. Then her dad could pick her up on the way to the wedding.
I had a reservation at the Hampton Inn but check-in time was not until 3 pm, so we left in a fairly leisurely fashion. We approached the bridge over to Virginia about noon.
As we drove down I-95, we ran into a big traffic jam north of Richmond. If I had not needed to go down I-85 south of Richmond, we would have taken the bypass, but that goes to I-95 south of Richmond and doesn't go all the way to I-85.
Finally about 2 pm, we got off of I-95 and stopped for lunch at Arby's. This Arby's was a buffet type place rather than the usual fast food.
We wound our way through the Richmond suburbs and eventually found I-85
After we checked in, it was still too early for dinner so I went looking for the cemetery where my great great grandparents were buried. I had marked it on a map. I also saw Big Ruin Creek church marked as number 7 on this map, and thought we could go by there on our way
I wandered around in the woods where I thought the cemetery might be, but never did find anything. Bob was in the car trying to avoid being eaten alive by mosquitoes. I was mostly trying to avoid ticks and poison ivy.
We did find Big Ruin Creek Church, although it was not where it was marked on the map, and there was no sign on the church to tell me that it was the correct one.
They had some interesting and home-made looking graves markers in this cemetery. They looked like they were made from cement.
grandmaR's Related Pages
Henderson Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Henderson
- 10 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Henderson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Henderson
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues