"Slow Trip on Friday - August 1st" New York City Travelogue by grandmaR
New York City Travel Guide: 15,917 reviews and 32,120 photos
I'm putting this section of the trip under NYC, although a lot of it was in Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey and Connecticut.
My granddaughter got married the first weekend in August. It was the occasion for a big family reunion - missing only my DIL and one SIL and two of the children. Our son drive up from SC with his son and spent the night at our house His wife had exams and didn't come.
He picked up his daughter (who had been staying with us), and we gave him one of our E-Zpass responders.
Because of gas prices we felt that it would be too expensive to drive our own cars which both use diesel. So after he left we picked up the car we rented for the weekend. The weekend rental was $19.99/day and the car (a Ford Focus) got 37 mpg. The car had an E-ZPass in it, but we put our own on it instead. After we picked up the car, I went to the State of Maryland website and registered the rental car license for our E-ZPass. I had previously registered my son's SC car. Ironically, our rental car also had a SC license.
We went through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel at 11:05. (According to the Maryland website, our son went through at 9:40, about an hour and forty minutes ahead of us). Our toll was paid automatically for the JFK at 11:44
At 11:50, we stopped to eat at one of the Maryland facilities - Bob got a sandwich at Burger King and I got a tuna nicoise wheat baguette and a strawberry cheese muffin at Z Market because I didn't want to stand in line at Popeyes. We also went to the bathroom. It didn't take us very long, so by 12:20 we were approaching the Delaware Memorial Bridge. (Our son went across at 10:53, so he's now only an hour and a half ahead because he took longer for lunch I guess.)
We had traversed Delaware and entered NJ at 12:40 and were E-ZPassed to the NJ Turnpike at 12:44
We stopped for gas on the NJ Turnpike about 13.20. Bob was unaware that there is no self service in NJ.
We got onto the truck side of the turnpike as we approached NYC. I don't know why we did that.
Our daughter told us NOT to go across the George Washington Bridge because of traffic - that we should go across the Tappen Zee instead. Both my son and my husband ignored this advice.
It is now 2:56 pm (1456) and we can see that we really should not have tried to go through New York City on Friday afternoon. We went through the toll very quickly at 1504 (3: 04 pm) but it didn't help us any because traffic was heavy on both sides.
Our son went through the George Washington toll booth at 14:02, so he is now just an hour ahead.
The top picture is of the traffic on the bridge.
We went through the New York State tollway at 15:59 - just before 4 pm. Our son went through at 14:33 (about 2:30 pm), so he's an hour and a half ahead of us again. I don't think he had as much traffic through New York.
Now all we have to do is go up I-95 to East Haven
grandmaR's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "Oh, how I want to be a part of it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 6 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 73 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (541)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Are all changes for the better?"
- updated a New York City Travel Page "A Visit to the City"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Many Faces of Battery Park"
- Uploaded a Video to New York City
- Wrote a Review The Many Faces of Battery Park about Battery Park in New York City Things to Do
- Commented on one of thinking's New York City travel pages
Photos in New York CitySee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues