"Slow Trip on Friday - August 1st" New York City Travelogue by grandmaR

New York City Travel Guide: 15,726 reviews and 31,518 photos

I'm putting this section of the trip under NYC, although a lot of it was in Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey and Connecticut.

Maryland

My granddaughter got married the first weekend in August. It was the occasion for a big family reunion - missing only my DIL and one SIL and two of the children. Our son drive up from SC with his son and spent the night at our house His wife had exams and didn't come.

He picked up his daughter (who had been staying with us), and we gave him one of our E-Zpass responders.

Because of gas prices we felt that it would be too expensive to drive our own cars which both use diesel. So after he left we picked up the car we rented for the weekend. The weekend rental was $19.99/day and the car (a Ford Focus) got 37 mpg. The car had an E-ZPass in it, but we put our own on it instead. After we picked up the car, I went to the State of Maryland website and registered the rental car license for our E-ZPass. I had previously registered my son's SC car. Ironically, our rental car also had a SC license.

Delaware

We went through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel at 11:05. (According to the Maryland website, our son went through at 9:40, about an hour and forty minutes ahead of us). Our toll was paid automatically for the JFK at 11:44

At 11:50, we stopped to eat at one of the Maryland facilities - Bob got a sandwich at Burger King and I got a tuna nicoise wheat baguette and a strawberry cheese muffin at Z Market because I didn't want to stand in line at Popeyes. We also went to the bathroom. It didn't take us very long, so by 12:20 we were approaching the Delaware Memorial Bridge. (Our son went across at 10:53, so he's now only an hour and a half ahead because he took longer for lunch I guess.)

We had traversed Delaware and entered NJ at 12:40 and were E-ZPassed to the NJ Turnpike at 12:44

New Jersey

We stopped for gas on the NJ Turnpike about 13.20. Bob was unaware that there is no self service in NJ.

New Jersey

We got onto the truck side of the turnpike as we approached NYC. I don't know why we did that.

Our daughter told us NOT to go across the George Washington Bridge because of traffic - that we should go across the Tappen Zee instead. Both my son and my husband ignored this advice.

New Jersey

It is now 2:56 pm (1456) and we can see that we really should not have tried to go through New York City on Friday afternoon. We went through the toll very quickly at 1504 (3: 04 pm) but it didn't help us any because traffic was heavy on both sides.

George Washington Bridge

Our son went through the George Washington toll booth at 14:02, so he is now just an hour ahead.

The top picture is of the traffic on the bridge.

New York City

We went through the New York State tollway at 15:59 - just before 4 pm. Our son went through at 14:33 (about 2:30 pm), so he's an hour and a half ahead of us again. I don't think he had as much traffic through New York.

Now all we have to do is go up I-95 to East Haven

• Page Updated Aug 31, 2008

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?

Latest Activity in New York City