"Itinerary Northern Victorian Winery Tour via Yarra" State of Victoria Travelogue by pedroswift
State of Victoria Travel Guide: 6,888 reviews and 17,617 photos
From this itinerary, You might find inspiration to visit some wineries outside the "Melbourne Dress Circle" of Mornington, Yarra, Macedon Ranges, Geelong -Bellarine Peninsula.
Day?s Drive distance in kms. (local) means drive in or around town or local areas. Town of Overnight Stop in bold. Accommodation place. Notes on activities and dining highlights in bold.
Tullamarine to Morwell.
Pick up Hertz car at Tullamarine to head east. Drive via Bell Street to avoid the toll road that requires pre-payment at machines in the airport.
170 kms to Morwell Comfort Inn Hazelgrove. Dined Morwell Hotel. Less than ordinary pub fare.
(local) Morwell esoteric activites
145kms to Healesville (2 hours) Yarra Gables Motel. Our usual stopping spot in H?ville (see tip). Dined at Healesville Hotel Dining Room.Very good + : 9/10 (see tip)
(local) Healesville Landing Place Archery Range too early for wine tasting ( see all Healesville tips). Punt road Winery. Oakridge Winery. Lunch at Tokar Winery. Soup, Local platter & 2 glasses of wine each $59. Ate too much so had a light snack in for dinner.
280 kms Beechworth Golden Heritage Motel. Drove via Alexandra, Yarck (yes, I did spell it correctly), coffee at Bonnie Doon. Mansfield. Lunch at Whitfield Hotel very good 8/10. Pizzini Winery very friendly at cellar door. Interesting Italian varietals. Dined at Gigi?s. very good 8/10.
45kms Rutherglen . Rutherglen Motel. Walked around Beechworth. Checked out the old telegraph office played with the morse key, Court House - Ned Kelly tried here. Lock up. Beechworth Bakery (very famous) very busy; Lolly Shop down the road top spot! Drove via Morris Wines; All Saints Winery & lunch in their restaurant. Then to R?glen. Walked around town. Take away Chinese for dinner.
75 kms Milawa Milawa Motel. Drove via Corowa, Yarrawonga, Wangaratta, Milawa Cheese Factory (free tastings). Lunch at Epicurian Centre at Brown Brother?s Winery. Top Notch with matching wines. 10/10. No wonder Brown Brothers is the "most visited" cellar door in Australia!!
After resting pm Dined at Milawa Cheese Factory. Good 8/10.
227kms Healesville Yarra Gables Motel. Drove via Euroa (coffee) Menton, Yea then to -
Domaine Chandon Winery. Paid for the 4 & a half flutes of bubbles with food. Very good.
Dined as expected at the Healesville Hotel vg+ as usual.
Melbourne o/night and drop car off at Tullamarine Airport.
Note: Lots of cellar doors charge for wine tasting & subtract the cost from the price of bottles purchased. An attempt to cater for serious wine tasters not drunken louts.
Warning: point oh five is the blood alcohol reading limit in Australia. Don't drink and drive. Spitting out is an option during wine tasting. Save the big drink until dinner and walk home or have a nominated driver. We "take it in turns" to do the driving. I have been breathalized by police twice during recent road trips in Victoria in winery regions. Once in Yarra : once in Macedon Ranges.
See my South Australia page for wine touring etiquette. You might also like to read the tip under "Warnings; Dangers" just so you don't carry plant material or soil from one region to the next.
More Travelogues (2)
pedroswift's Related Pages
State of Victoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VICTORIA - THE GARDEN STATE"
- "Second State, Home State while in Australia!"
- "Sweetberry's Victoria Page"
- "Discovering Victoria's Secrets"
- "Keeweechic's State of Victoria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Victoria
- Hotels in State of Victoria
- Transportation in State of Victoria
- Nightlife in State of Victoria
- Restaurants in State of Victoria
- Shopping in State of Victoria
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Victoria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Victoria
- 12 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 28 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to State of Victoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Victoria
Top 10 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 41 reviews, 110 photos, 6 travelogues
- France Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bourgogne Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 9 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Villers-Bretonneux Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caloundra Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos