"Gettin' Some Kicks On Old Route 66" Personal Page by riorich55
Usually when I have a business trip within a 5 hour drive of Chicago, I will take my car rather then deal with the hassles of getting to the airport, waiting for the plane, renting a car upon arrival, etc. It is always interesting traveling down to St Louis from Chicago as it reminds me of trips on the original Route 66 when I used to go on vacations with my parents and sister in the 1960's.
I've seen this type of bus on London websites and just discovered they have routes in the Midwest and East Coast in the United States. I wonder how to get the $1.00 rate.
Train travel in the United States is starting to pick up some "steam" as of late because of the high cost of gas and airline problems. This Amtrak train runs along most of Old Route 66 and was heading toward Chicago.
A truck from the Green Bay, Wisconsin area advertising the famous Green Bay Packers and all sites.
As this Jaguar passed by me I chuckled at the license plate.
On the way down to St Louis there was a road sign for the World's Largest Covered Wagon in the town of Lincoln, Illinois. Take a close look at the bird to Abe's left who looks like he is engrossed with what he is reading.
Bud Alexander and his Smokehouse of the Prairie. Take a little detour off the Interstate Expressway and you never know what you'll find. Bud serves great Memphis styled pulled pork sandwiches and fried oreos.
Back in the days before the Interstate Highways the road from Chicago to Los Angeles was Route 66. Crossing through towns in Illinois, Missouri and onto California the drivers in the 30's, 40's, 50's and even the 60's enjoyed an up close look at a fantastic cross section of America. I always enjoy this trip down to St Louis singing along to the songs of the 60's, 70's and 80's as I watch the fields go by.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 639 Reviews
- 2,343 Photos
- 8 Countries
- 106 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
- Posted in Travel Italy Forum "Re: Regional explorations on our..."
- riorich55 and HeshamMA are now friends.
- Commented on chrisspinney's profile page
- updated a Chicago Travel Page "Images of Chicago"
- Wrote a Review Châtelet Metro and RER Station about RER (Regional Trains) in Paris Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Châtelet Metro and RER Station"
updated their Personal Page "Signs Along the Way"
- Commented on the Chicago travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Chicago
VideosSee All Videos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 81 reviews, 277 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 55 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 38 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 28 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Charleston Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Paris Hotels
- 22149 Reviews - 53809 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15552 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11940 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8354 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7626 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos