"Gettin' Some Kicks On Old Route 66" Personal Page by riorich55
Usually when I have a business trip within a 5 hour drive of Chicago, I will take my car rather then deal with the hassles of getting to the airport, waiting for the plane, renting a car upon arrival, etc. It is always interesting traveling down to St Louis from Chicago as it reminds me of trips on the original Route 66 when I used to go on vacations with my parents and sister in the 1960's.
I've seen this type of bus on London websites and just discovered they have routes in the Midwest and East Coast in the United States. I wonder how to get the $1.00 rate.
Train travel in the United States is starting to pick up some "steam" as of late because of the high cost of gas and airline problems. This Amtrak train runs along most of Old Route 66 and was heading toward Chicago.
A truck from the Green Bay, Wisconsin area advertising the famous Green Bay Packers and all sites.
As this Jaguar passed by me I chuckled at the license plate.
On the way down to St Louis there was a road sign for the World's Largest Covered Wagon in the town of Lincoln, Illinois. Take a close look at the bird to Abe's left who looks like he is engrossed with what he is reading.
Bud Alexander and his Smokehouse of the Prairie. Take a little detour off the Interstate Expressway and you never know what you'll find. Bud serves great Memphis styled pulled pork sandwiches and fried oreos.
Back in the days before the Interstate Highways the road from Chicago to Los Angeles was Route 66. Crossing through towns in Illinois, Missouri and onto California the drivers in the 30's, 40's, 50's and even the 60's enjoyed an up close look at a fantastic cross section of America. I always enjoy this trip down to St Louis singing along to the songs of the 60's, 70's and 80's as I watch the fields go by.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 648 Reviews
- 2,405 Photos
- 8 Countries
- 108 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Best Place to Get a Taste of..."
- Commented on aussirose's travelogue
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fast Food and Fast Casual"
- Wrote a Review Fast Food and Fast Casual in United States of America Restaurants
- riorich55 and explorer13 are now friends.
- created a Charlevoix Travel Page "Bustling Summer Town on Lake Michigan shore"
updated their Profile Page "Back From Our Second European Trip"
- Commented on the Chicago travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Chicago
PhotosSee All Photos (2405)
VideosSee All Videos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 55 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 28 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Charleston Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Paris Hotels
- 22467 Reviews - 54994 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- Berlin Hotels
- 6983 Reviews - 15645 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23319 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2027 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5858 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos