"Some thoughts about travels" Personal Page by Manara
For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly.
Robert Louis Stevenson
Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes (1879)
New landscapes, new customs. The accumulation of memories. A long life is not a question of years.
A man without memories might reach the age of a hundred and feel that his life has been a very brief one. (…) He wanted to slow life up and he quite rightly felt that by travelling he would make time move with less rapidity. You have noticed it yourself, I expect, on a holiday. If you stay in one place, the holiday passes like a flash, but if you go to three places, the holiday seems to last three times as long.
Travels with my Aunt (1969)
No, we never did go back anywhere. (…) We talked of it, of course, but I guess Florence got all she wanted out of one look at a place. She had the seeing eye. I haven’t, unfortunately, so that the world is full of places to which I want to return (…) the whole world for me is like spots of colour in an immense canvas.
Ford Madox Ford
The Good Soldier (1915)
Travel, in the younger sort, is a part of education; in the elder, a part of experience.
A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.
The Brook Kerith (1916)
More Personal Pages (2)
Written Jan 2, 2012
Application to the Fridge Society
Written Jun 3, 2010
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 481 Reviews
- 952 Photos
- 28 Countries
- 72 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
- updated a Parma Travel Page "A real parmigiana"
- Posted in Travel Reggio Emilia Forum "Re: PLUGS and adaptor"
- Commented on Aunt_Bertha's profile page
updated their Profile Page "A dedicated traveller"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beldibi"
- Manara and meisje are now friends.
- Wrote a Review The Jerusalem Cross in Jerusalem Local Customs
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 36 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Badgastein Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos
- Vienna Intro, 34 reviews, 41 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago Maggiore Intro, 19 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stresa Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Interlaken Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22200 Reviews - 54008 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23039 Reviews - 47275 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11942 Reviews - 26476 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7699 Reviews - 19779 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3342 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos