"Regions of the world... represented... which one ?" Antsirabe Travelogue by Norali
Antsirabe Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 147 photos
Not that Bira doesn't have any identity. Yet, its urban architecture is a mix of elegant buildings of various styles. Now, can you guess which style they are of ? Sep-Oct. 2007 was an opportunity, for me, to roam the city and take pictures of some design. Unfortunately (or fortunately), some remain undefined to my eyes.
This first one, for instance, is quite intriguing for me. Where does this style come from ?
Easy, yes... on the right is a mosque !
But... on the left... a church. Another religious building with its transluscent cross. Can the style that is (poorly) displayed on the picture tell you which religion is this ?
For some reason, I like this picture. Almost same reason for the last one.
Looks like a modern trano gasy. Or should I say that modern trano gasy has a style halfway between this and the ancient Merina trano gasy ? Seems...
Only a specialist could tell... Anyone ?
Now, tell me, architecture freak, a bow window or a small terrace ?
Charming for sure. Colonial, amn't I right ? Ironworks, yes! Green, small yes!
Same style as Thermes (pic in the tip)
A pity houses displaying details like this are in bad shape. Strolling the Malgasy quarter, I saw details of facades, verandas that are in bad shape. Not only the details, the whole buildings are often left unrepaired... for years ? decades ? Some look squatted, not inhabited by renters nor landlords... Gems in the European quarter use to have a different fate.
Now, this lacey veranda.. the fact that I once saw Indian faces at one of those windows, looking onto the street where I hung up, make me wonder. Is it Indian influence or simply colonial ?
Weird, when the mosque was white, it didn't strike me as something to visit or, at least, to admire. Now, the blue sky, the palm, the warm ochre hue... took me sometime, as I was standing in front of the mosque, to realize I was in Bira.
Hahaha... The Temple, The mosque and the Restaurant...
I am not a Lutheran chick neither a member of the Indo-Paki Muslim community... The restaurant (at the right) is that is left for me... and I am not complaining. LOL
Was told by Malagasy friends that their Malagasy food was not bad (Ny Avo restaurant). Couldn't try it there. Remained loyal to my Croc'Inn ;-)
More Travelogues (2)
Written Feb 28, 2008
Antsirabe stays - under construction
Written Mar 5, 2008
- Friends count
- See All Singer woman
- See All Urban Sheeps !
- See All Salty breakfast
- See All Aluminium trinkets in Ambatolampy
- Easter traffic jams
- See All A hotel with some history
- See All Roam the city... to relax
- See All Men use to wear (wrap up with) lamba
- See All Road trip by 4*4, taxi-brousse
- Horseriding, golf, swimming in a spa...
- Warm pajamas and wool jumpers
- Gem stones sold in the streets of...
Been to Antsirabe?Share your travels with the world!
Norali's Related Pages
Antsirabe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bira or Antsirabe"
- "Savour the elegance of a bygone era"
- "Antsirabe on Easter Monday"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antsirabe
- Hotels in Antsirabe
- Transportation in Antsirabe
- Nightlife in Antsirabe
- Restaurants in Antsirabe
- Shopping in Antsirabe
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Antsirabe
- 35 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Antsirabe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antsirabe
Photos in AntsirabeSee All Photos (80)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues