"My world- Suomi, Finland" Personal Page by TarjaH
Finland (or Suomi how we call it) is a beautiful country in Northern Europe.
Thanks to Finland's northern location we have four real seasons as you can see below.
And I love them...yes, all of them! :)
Maybe many of you don't know much about my home country,
so here's few stories about the place where I live and our every day lives.
If you want to know more seemy Vuokatti pages
Maybe my favourite season even if temperature may go under -30 degrees.
End of February and March are propably the best time of Finnish winter. Sun starts to come up and skiing tracks are in good shape.
Here where I live, sun actually comes up every day. But in Norther Finland (above the Arctic Circle) there are days when sun doesn't rise above the horizon.
Nature wakes up after a long, dark winter. Even if you know what happens next, it's always exciting to see the first leaf of a birch as well as the first swan comming from south.
For me it also means cleaning up the summer cottage
...which is not that nice...
While sun doens't rise above horizon in the winter, in the summer it doesn't go down!
If you want to experience the midnight sun, come to Finland in June. But be warned, it might be hard to fall asleep when sun shines all night!
Anyway, I think that end of July is best time to visit here.
Nothing wins having a Finnish sauna and cooling in fresh water of a lake after it!!
In Finland almost every one goes to sauna and in most buildings you can find one.
Yeah, I've also one in my flat... :)
If it is asked from me the best sauna is traditional smoke sauna. Picture I included is taken from smoke sauna of my grandparents. A secret of the smoke sauna is that it doesn't have chimney. Heating takes several hours and sauna is ready after all smoke is gone.
But after long waiting you'll get best "löyly" (steam vapor)ever!
Smoke saunas are quite rare nowadays. So if you find one you should try it!
Anyway, most of the saunas are modern with electric or wood kiuas (with a chimney...).
Finnish baseball, pesis/pesäpallo, is our national game and what would be better way to spend summer night than sunny baseball field watching fit men and women battling. When the game is unique combination of smart tactics, skills, teamwork and athleticism, every spectator gets something. It’s interesting how this calm nation is so cheerful and loud, almost fanatic, when it’s about sport. :)
You can witness it by your own eyes:
Championship match 2008 in Sotkamo
I have to admit that also I have given drop of blood and bit of sweat to this game…but on the field.
Almost everyone uses mobile phone but the birth of this technological wonder was not obvious. In the Oulu University, where also I got my IT education, faced huge pressure not to waste money to such nonsense.
Nowadays we can laugh at those articles in newspaper where people were writing about "useless agent phones" but without little determination and even craziness current structure of communication could be very different.
Maybe better, maybe not.
And one more thing
We don't dup tv programs but this new digital era gives so many nice possibilities: PUHUVA PÄÄ(the talking head) :)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 203 Reviews
- 364 Photos
- 11 Countries
- 23 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Posted in Travel Finland Forum "Re: Finland and/or Rome?"
- TarjaH and DeeTay are now friends.
updated their Personal Page "My travels"
- Wrote a Review Visa in Russia What to Pack
- Uploaded a Video to Fort William
- Uploaded a Photo to "Katinkulta cottages and apartments"
- created a Ilha de São Miguel Travel Page "Ola from green islands!"
- Commented on Waalewiener's profile page
VideosSee All Videos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Vuokatti Intro, 45 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Wroclaw Intro, 22 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Finland Intro, 6 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kostomuksa Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos
- Rethymno Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Madrid Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Fort William Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22488 Reviews - 55061 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23330 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3099 Reviews - 5883 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos