"Rotterdam 2007" Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Travelogue by Airpunk

Rotterdam Travel Guide: 1,424 reviews and 3,807 photos

It is time for Zomercarnaval in Rotterdam, so time for me to go there. Whereelse in Europe (OK, perhaps on Notting Hill Carnaval…), can you listen to steeldrums while enjoying exotic food from street vendors? Oviously non-caribbean people playing the instruments together with their dark-skinned colleagues. People with different ethnic background enjoying music and yummy food. And all that in one of the most interesting cities in Europe, the one and only Rotterdam. As I said on previous ocassions, people may call me crazy for loving this place. But still, its incredible how you have the whole world represented in a mid-sized city – and not only on Zomercarnaval.

My visit to Rotterdam was rather short this year. Having only a week of vacation, I chose to explore Amsterdam and the Flevoland province and spend only a single full day in Rotterdam. Weather was average – better than in 2005 and 2006, so a walk through the streets of Rotterdam would surely be the best choice before going to see the “Battle of Drums”. OK, the bloody wind was annoying, but at least it was not raining. Rotterdam surprised again with some small, unexpected things. One was a collection of poems made by schoolchildren, seen on a parking lot. Other small things were the events labelled “Rotterdam – capital of architecture 2007”, forming a big thing all together.

The newest edition of the “Simply the Best” guide helped me to find new places to explore. Their recommendation fo Katendrecht was surely not the best (In fact, I was a little disappointed), but at least I know what people are talking about. After doing all the shopping, (To my fellow students of the nederlandse tal: Those Allerhande magazines brought me very close to my maximal baggage allowance…) , I continued my walk through the city center. To my shame, I must admit that I am beginning to know the streets of Rotterdam better than those of Hamburg. At least it makes me confident in my dutch skills that I am able to explain people their way through the current labyrinth in front of the central station or help out when somebody asks for directions. After relaxing in the park, it was time to start into the world of colourful costumes and caribbean rythms. Now, on my 4th trip to Rotterdam, I can indeed say: Ik ben een 010er!

• Page Written Jan 25, 2008

Comments

Airpunk

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Rotterdam

Have you been to Rotterdam?

Latest Activity in Rotterdam