"Rotterdam 2007" Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Travelogue by Airpunk
Rotterdam Travel Guide: 1,518 reviews and 4,043 photos
It is time for Zomercarnaval in Rotterdam, so time for me to go there. Whereelse in Europe (OK, perhaps on Notting Hill Carnaval…), can you listen to steeldrums while enjoying exotic food from street vendors? Oviously non-caribbean people playing the instruments together with their dark-skinned colleagues. People with different ethnic background enjoying music and yummy food. And all that in one of the most interesting cities in Europe, the one and only Rotterdam. As I said on previous ocassions, people may call me crazy for loving this place. But still, its incredible how you have the whole world represented in a mid-sized city – and not only on Zomercarnaval.
My visit to Rotterdam was rather short this year. Having only a week of vacation, I chose to explore Amsterdam and the Flevoland province and spend only a single full day in Rotterdam. Weather was average – better than in 2005 and 2006, so a walk through the streets of Rotterdam would surely be the best choice before going to see the “Battle of Drums”. OK, the bloody wind was annoying, but at least it was not raining. Rotterdam surprised again with some small, unexpected things. One was a collection of poems made by schoolchildren, seen on a parking lot. Other small things were the events labelled “Rotterdam – capital of architecture 2007”, forming a big thing all together.
The newest edition of the “Simply the Best” guide helped me to find new places to explore. Their recommendation fo Katendrecht was surely not the best (In fact, I was a little disappointed), but at least I know what people are talking about. After doing all the shopping, (To my fellow students of the nederlandse tal: Those Allerhande magazines brought me very close to my maximal baggage allowance…) , I continued my walk through the city center. To my shame, I must admit that I am beginning to know the streets of Rotterdam better than those of Hamburg. At least it makes me confident in my dutch skills that I am able to explain people their way through the current labyrinth in front of the central station or help out when somebody asks for directions. After relaxing in the park, it was time to start into the world of colourful costumes and caribbean rythms. Now, on my 4th trip to Rotterdam, I can indeed say: Ik ben een 010er!
More Travelogues (2)
Written May 28, 2006
Rotterdam 2005 - returning to my favourite city
Written Feb 10, 2007
Some odd Rotterdam pictures...
- See All Casual wear
- See All Rotterdam Souvernirs
- See All Sandwhiches, soup and more
- See All Maagd van Holland on Nieuwmarkt
Airpunk's Related Pages
Rotterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rotterdam, the most vibrant Dutch city !"
- "Rotterdam - Ik ben een 010er!"
- "Rotterdam: new territory for tourists"
- "Rotterdam a BIG small city"
- "Rotterdam, harbour city."
- "Rotterdam: Architecture Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rotterdam
- Hotels in Rotterdam
- Transportation in Rotterdam
- Nightlife in Rotterdam
- Restaurants in Rotterdam
- Shopping in Rotterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Rotterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rotterdam
- 77 Reviews
- 151 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Rotterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rotterdam
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Riga Intro, 51 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues