"Tour to Nelson's Dockyard" Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua and Barbuda Travelogue by grandmaR
Antigua and Barbuda Travel Guide: 408 reviews and 1,245 photos
December 18th was our stop in Antigua, which is apparently pronounced with the hard G and without sounding the U - Ant IG a.
We had a tour to Nelson's Dockyard which 80 other people had signed up for.
It was overcast and looked like rain. There were three other ships in this port. One was the Astoria.
They divided us up into 4 groups, each in a separate small van. Our guide was named Jane. Bob was sitting in a jump seat and two black ladies whom we had eaten dinner with the previous night were also on the bus. The one in the first seat was bantering back and forth with the driver whose name was Charley.
Jane was concerned that we'd be caught by the rain, so we hustled (and Charley was driving REALLY fast - I'm sure over the speed limit) out to the first place which was an overlook.
On the way we passed a place where they had a combination fountain and car wash (there was a ramp in the side of the pond with the fountain where people could drive their cars down to the water), and a village (in the All Saint's Parish) with 13 churches including 10 different denominations. The stone in this area has a lot of copper and has a greenish tint
We left there and hustled to the second overlook, from which we could see Monserrat - at least we could before it rained. We all took shelter in a pub there
When the rain let up, we got back in the bus, and drove to Nelson's Dockyard, which is a National Park. By this time it was sunny. A local guide took us through the Dockyard and then we were given a free rum punch (or in my case a fruit juice) at the Copper and Lumber Store Hotel.
Then we fought our way back through traffic to the ship. We had lunch in the dining room. We sat with some teachers (and a man who the husband of one of the teachers who drove a bus). I had the Tropical Fruit Medley with Coconut Sherbet (very refreshing), beet soup (I think it was borscht although the waitress said it wasn't like what her mother made) which one of the teachers pronounced the best thing she had all week, Bob had the Herb Grilled Salmon, and I had the Fusili Pasta and BBQ Pork. Most people at the table had marinated berries for dessert. Bob and I had ice cream.
I showed Bob where the washers and dryers were - there's no charge for using them, but we have to buy soap because Bob left the soap and bleach that he bought in Miami at our daughters.
We've discovered that the pool we see in the bow camera is probably for the crew as there seems no way for passengers to get to it.
We missed trivia because I wasn't dressed yet. It was formal if you want to do formal night. We asked to share, but we didn't have any luck with that. They don't seem very efficient in the dining room about seating people.
I had marinated artichoke hearts and Bob had the Florida citrus appetizers. We both had the Gazpacho which was very spicy, and Bob had flounder and I had beef stroganoff for our entree. I had something called Dark Chocolate Orange Bavarian Cream for dessert.
[Note: The desserts are only about the size of a medium cupcake.
Just enough to taste.]
Tomorrow is Bridgetown, Barbados
- See All Phone, Mail, and ATM
- See All Visit the Capitol City
- See All Land Sports
- See All Shops for Rich Cruisers
- See All Flight To Montserrat
grandmaR's Related Pages
Antigua and Barbuda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Antigua - on a shoestring"
- "365 Days of Beaches"
- "Antigua for a Day!"
- "AntigA with U"
- "Antigua Wedding 2004"
- "Antigua & Barbuda"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antigua and Barbuda
- Hotels in Antigua and Barbuda
- Transportation in Antigua and Barbuda
- Nightlife in Antigua and Barbuda
- Restaurants in Antigua and Barbuda
- Shopping in Antigua and Barbuda
- Warnings and Dangers in Antigua and Barbuda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antigua and Barbuda
- 31 Reviews
- 184 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Antigua and Barbuda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antigua and Barbuda
Photos in Antigua and BarbudaSee All Photos (184)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues