"Paris 2007" Personal Page by TravellerMel
My first day in Paris- I check into the hotel, drop my bags in my room, and immediately head out to explore. After walking no more than 3 blocks, I turn a corner and find that I am in front of Notre Dame! Oh happy day!
My friend Debbie and her husband Fred came in from England to meet me in Paris for the weekend. We took a break at this charming cafe after climbing the Sacre Coeur. A cup of coffee and a pastry later, and we were good to go!
I know many people do not like I.M. Pei's pyramid at the Louvre, but I really do. The last time I was in Paris was in 1988 - the courtyard was torn up preceding the installation of the sculpture. This is the inverted pyramid that you see once you enter the museum - it figured prominently in "The Da Vinci Code". It's funny - I didn't intend to do the "Da Vinci" tour, but just being in Paris, you kind of can't help it...
We decided we wanted and needed a night out on the town, so we booked a tour that included dinner at Altitude 95 restaurant in the Eiffel Tower and the show at Moulin Rouge. It was expensive (almost $200 per person), but since I seem to average one trip to Paris every 18 years I figured it was worth the splurge...
The tour bus dropped us off at the Eiffel Tower for dinner. The restaurant is exquisitely beautiful - when the lights start to twinkle it will make you want to cry! It was a fixed menu that included a lot of white food on a white plate. I'm from New Orleans - I need SEASONING on my food. But the dessert was heavenly - some sort of a chocolate cake with hot fudge inside and topped with ice cream.. Oh man, that was good! Time for just a few photos, then we ran to the bus to take us to the Moulin Rouge.
The Moulin Rouge is legendary - I was so excited to just be there! They pack it full, but when the show starts you hardly notice how cramped you are. Our table split a bottle of champagne which added to the festive feeling. The show is WONDERFUL! Once you get past the initial hee hee they are topless, you focus on the wonderful sets, music and dancing. We applauded wildly for the feats of strength, and laughed at the comic even though we don't speak French. You don't have to - the humor shines through.
After the show, time for a few photos, then run for the bus which drops you off at your hotel. In all, a lovely evening well worth the expense. Next time, I think I will do dinner on my own so I can order off the menu, but I would certainly go back to the Moulin Rouge!
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 677 Reviews
- 1,791 Photos
- 15 Countries
- 108 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
- Commented on traveler84's profile page
- Wrote a Review Teatro Peón Contreras in Mérida Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Teatro Peón Contreras"
- created a Indianapolis Travel Page "Indianapolis, IN"
- Uploaded a Video to Los Angeles
updated their Profile Page "Have Passport - MUST Travel!"
- Posted in Travel Nashville Forum "Re: Transport options to Jack..."
- TravellerMel and jabdulrasool are now friends.
VideosSee All Videos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nashville Intro, 80 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 71 reviews, 134 photos
- Key West Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 22 reviews, 73 photos
- Chicago Intro, 18 reviews, 65 photos
- Saint Louis Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- New York City Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Louisville Intro, 14 reviews, 45 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos
- Memphis Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22465 Reviews - 54992 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- Subic Hotels
- 246 Reviews - 861 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23318 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos