"Paris 2007" Personal Page by TravellerMel
My first day in Paris- I check into the hotel, drop my bags in my room, and immediately head out to explore. After walking no more than 3 blocks, I turn a corner and find that I am in front of Notre Dame! Oh happy day!
My friend Debbie and her husband Fred came in from England to meet me in Paris for the weekend. We took a break at this charming cafe after climbing the Sacre Coeur. A cup of coffee and a pastry later, and we were good to go!
I know many people do not like I.M. Pei's pyramid at the Louvre, but I really do. The last time I was in Paris was in 1988 - the courtyard was torn up preceding the installation of the sculpture. This is the inverted pyramid that you see once you enter the museum - it figured prominently in "The Da Vinci Code". It's funny - I didn't intend to do a "Da Vinci Code" tour, but just being in Paris, you kind of can't help it...
We decided we wanted and needed a night out on the town, so we booked a tour that included dinner at Altitude 95 restaurant in the Eiffel Tower and the show at Moulin Rouge. It was expensive (almost $200 per person), but since I seem to average one trip to Paris every 18 years I figured it was worth the splurge...
The tour bus dropped us off at the Eiffel Tower for dinner. The restaurant is exquisitely beautiful - when the lights start to twinkle it will make you want to cry! It was a fixed menu that included a lot of white food on a white plate. I'm from New Orleans - I need SEASONING on my food. But the dessert was heavenly - some sort of a chocolate cake with hot fudge inside and topped with ice cream.. Oh man, that was good! Time for just a few photos, then we ran to the bus to take us to the Moulin Rouge.
The Moulin Rouge is legendary - I was so excited to just be there! They pack it full, but when the show starts you hardly notice how cramped you are. Our table split a bottle of champagne which added to the festive feeling. The show is WONDERFUL! Once you get past the initial hee hee they are topless, you focus on the wonderful sets, music and dancing. We applauded wildly for the feats of strength, and laughed at the comic even though we don't speak French. You don't have to - the humor shines through.
After the show, time for a few photos, then run for the bus which drops you off at your hotel. In all, a lovely evening well worth the expense. Next time, I think I will do dinner on my own so I can order off the menu, but I would certainly go back to the Moulin Rouge!
I like this picture - it is the only cat I saw in Paris. Truly - the only one! It was my last day, and he was resting in the sun in Pere Lachaise Cemetery. Perhaps a sign it was time to go home to my own babies?
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 800 Reviews
- 2,228 Photos
- 17 Countries
- 143 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on Parisforless's profile page
- Wrote a Review Hard Rock Cafe Boston about Hard Rock Cafe in Boston Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hard Rock Cafe Boston"
- updated a Saint Louis Travel Page "Road Trip for "RENT"!"
created their Personal Page "Hard Rock Cafe #3"
- TravellerMel and Usctwin are now friends.
- Uploaded a Video to Los Angeles
VideosSee All Videos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nashville Intro, 86 reviews, 160 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 73 reviews, 148 photos
- Key West Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 23 reviews, 73 photos
- Chicago Intro, 18 reviews, 65 photos
- Saint Louis Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 62 photos
- New York City Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 22 reviews, 41 photos
- Memphis Intro, 15 reviews, 44 photos