"A journey in time - from my grandparents' album" Personal Page by evaanna
I have recently re-discovered my maternal grandparents' pre-war album and thought you might find it interesting to meet my ancestors, see the way they dressed and wore their hair in the period between the two World Wars when Poland was enjoying relative peace and newly regained independence.
This photograph though must have been taken still during WWI as the Russian is wearing a Tzarist uniform. My grandparents met, spent WWI and married in Moscow, having been deported there with the management of the railways at the very beginning of the war.
Sitting at the front are my grandparents-to-be, at the back my grandmother's sister with her Russian husband
I think the men in this photograph were my grandfather's friends.
The little girl in the picture is my favourite aunt. She lived in Warsaw with her mother, who was a teacher. I often visited them with my grandparents and also later as an adult. She died in 1984.
Before the war my grandparents would take their three children on holiday to a village 70 km away from Warsaw. They rented rooms and bought food from the local farmers. It was a popular way of spending the holidays so the children could have a good time playing with their peers in the beautiful countryside. The tradition was revived after the war but now my grandparents took my sister and me there. While, at the time, many other children were sent on organised holidays lasting no longer than 2 - 3 weeks, we spent two or three months there, enjoying the freedom of the forest, the fields and the meadows, making friends with the farmers' children and taking part in the village life. It was a great change from city life and my best childhood memories are of those holidays.
Sitting in the deck chair is my grandparents' friends' daughter and the only boy in this company is my mother's eldest brother Zygmunt
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,274 Reviews
- 3,937 Photos
- 9 Countries
- 96 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
updated their Profile Page "Here and there"
- Posted in Travel Hel Forum "Re: Transportation"
- Commented on one of evaanna's Hel travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Here and there"
- Wrote a Review The cottage of Polish deportees to Siberia in Szymbark Things to Do
- updated a Rewa Travel Page "Rewa"
- evaanna and philosykos are now friends.
PhotosSee All Photos (3937)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 19 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22149 Reviews - 53809 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15552 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11940 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8354 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7626 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos