"Night life at Lembeh" Manado Travelogue by Restless-in-kl

Manado Travel Guide: 157 reviews and 482 photos

The hills are alive .....

In this case, the waters come alive at nightfall in Lembeh. The sky becomes dark as early as 5pm so night diving here can go on till 8pm!

Though the waters may be dark and cold, the creatures that come out and play at this time of the day is anything but dark and cold.

Take this beautiful fish with wings for fins. If anyone knows the name of this fish, please email me.

Photo taken in a site just off the town of Bitung opposite Lembeh.

Dancing squid

It's tricky to shoot at night especially when I don't have a strobe. It's literally point, shoot and pray that the subject is in the frame.

Squid is captured at the same place above.

Mistaken identity

I was editing this photo when I was diving in the Maldives. Initially I had thought this was a flatworm and I was busy flipping through a nudibranch/flatworm book on the liveaboard.

Then the divemaster came to take a look and said to me "Why are you looking through this book? Isn't this a flounder???"

Duh!!!

Crocodile or alligator?

I can't decide!

Fish with wings

Though this fella looks cute, if it feels threatened, its wings would be wide open. Unfortunately, it didn't think I was very threatening!

Shot in Teluk Kembahu 3.

Tiny hopping frogfish

It was quite hard to capture this little frogfish as it loves to jum and hop around quite a bit, as well as seeking shelter underneath any rocks or debris.

Best buddies

The seahorse and cockatoo waspfish were hanging around together during my entire dive. They didn't seem to mind when I started hanging around with them.

Shot at Teluk Kembahu 3.

Something out of a nightmare!

I have always wondered how long or how big snake eels are as most of the time we only see its head sticking out of the sand.

With this one that comes with lotsa of teeth, I'm not sticking around to find out!

Taken at Teluk Kembahu 3.

• Page Updated Sep 20, 2007

Comments

Restless-in-kl

“Love life!”