"Meet the neighbours" Suwalki Travelogue by evaanna

Suwalki Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 180 photos

When we visited the area of Suwalki last we stayed in our friend's house in the middle of nowhere, with no farm within sight except ones on the hilly slopes at the far end of the valley. There was just one farm though that we could see if we climbed up the slope to our fence. It was run by a single man and his cows and horses grazed in the meadows around. On one of our first days there I decided I wanted to make friends with the horses so I went up to the fence.

When they saw me approach they all came to meet me. Perhaps someone from our house had given them bread or sugar cubes before, I don't know. I had nothing in my hands but they didn't look disappointed. The older ones started grazing but the colt just stood there as if waiting what I would do.

Then something unusual happened. When they saw me taking pictures, the older horses started putting up a show for me, parading before my eyes as if wanting to show their skills. They were going to and fro or in circles, breaking into a trot or a gallop at times. The colt just stood there watching them and perhaps learning.

It was a great performance, certainly much nicer than those I had seen in a circus as a child, where horses are made to walk in circles by a man with a whip. And it seemed they were doing it just for me, the only spectator there. Born actors, aren't they?

• Page Updated Sep 12, 2007

Comments

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Suwalki

Have you been to Suwalki?