"Street Scenes" Kouts Travelogue by Toughluck
Kouts Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 93 photos
State Route 49 runs right through the heart of town.
Cronies is near the end of 'downtown'. It's competitor [Joy's]in just south of it. See my tip on retaurants.
Joy's once was the town market. That has since moved north of State Route 8 into a new 'plaza' and Joy's has reused the old building. See my tip on retaurants. The town florist finishes off the row of shop's in the south portion of this building with Joy's.
On the east side of SR 49, the oldest building in great condition is First National Bank. Do believe what you've heard about small towns, where everyone know everyone else. It is still true in many places. If you read my tip on the Koffee Kup, I mentioned that my first visit was greeted by a momentary turning of heads, they back to their meal. Well, this picture lead to a chance to talk with the local police officer. Very friendly, to the point. After all, I was a stranger and somebody noticed my taking pictures in the direction of the bank. I just thought it was a great image of the old building with the water tower rising behind it. Somebody else wasn't sure what my intents were, so I had a pleasant chat, got to know another member of the community and better yet, a member of the community has gotten to know me a bit better.
After all, that's what it takes to be a part of a place or to get to know an area, you have talk to the local people.
Next up the block from the bank is Wendt Bros Pharmacy and Ben Franklin. It's an old tradition for several non-traditional stores to be grouped in America's small towns. Therefore it's not surprising to find the pharmacy (i.e., chemist) in the same business with a department store/five and dime. I'll have to tell you about the old 5 and 10 cent stores (or 5 and dimes).
Toughluck's Related Pages
Kouts Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Kouts
- 16 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Kouts?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kouts
Top 10 Pages
- Valparaiso Intro, 90 reviews, 221 photos, 7 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 44 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 32 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Indiana Intro, 26 reviews, 111 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 36 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kouts Intro, 16 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Santa Fe Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos, 7 travelogues