"Multicultural activites in my hometown" Personal Page by Faiza-Ifrah
Many cities of the world have different kinds of festivals. Since Mississauga is very multi-ethnic, it has its Festival of Cultures that is held in the 3rd or 4th weekend of May every year. People from many countries showcase their cultural activities, handicrafts and food. The pavilions are located in different parts of the city and each of them has so many activities going on that one has to be selective in which ones to visit.
My friend Monina had this to say about the dance of Philippines that mesmerized the crowd: "That pic in your Hometown activities page is the Sayaw sa Bangko" from the Philippines! That is one of my mother's specialty skills! My brother used to dance the Tinikling, that bamboo pole dance you talked about".
We had not seen a performance of this nature ever in our life. The performing girls were skipping in between the thumping and rocking bamboos with as much ease as a young girl skips through skipping roap.
India’s pavilion was well attended as usual with lots of shopping kiosks, good Indian food and a performance of dances from its different states. We had some shopping of clothes done here.
We had our lunch at the Egyptian pavilion and then watched an enchanting show of belly dancers.
We had our dinner at the International pavilion, after we had shopped some more. A North African ensemble showed some dances from the Arab world that put many people on their feet.
The music show from Pakistan was a well attended event that was followed by a Pakistani fashion show.
The host of the International Pavilion came on stage to pay tribute to Pakistani brother and sister duo who had organized the entire pavilion.
We had our dinner at the International pavilion, after we had shopped some. This was one of the most visited pavailions because so many countries were present here.
A group of Karatekas from Vietnam put up a nice demonstration of offensive and defensive techniques of the style of martial arts developed in Vietnam.
Like every other festival, this one also came to an end. With the entire contingent (see picture) on stage, the host appreciated all the participants and the audience.
All in all, a super-mega-successful event.
More Personal Pages (7)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Ponta Delgada
- Mohican State Park Hotels
- Maine Hotels
- Wellington Hotels
- Montego Bay
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Baguio City
- Colorado Springs Hotels
- Cherrapunji Hotels
- Santo Domingo
- Christchurch Hotels
- Province of Ilocos Norte
- Rüdesheim am Rhein
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 616 Reviews
- 1,695 Photos
- 7 Countries
- 26 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
updated their Profile Page "This year Fall colours have been simply dashing"
- Commented on Faiza-Ifrah's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "This year Fall colours have been simply dashing"
- Posted in Travel Montreal Forum "Re: Montreal in March"
- updated a Algonquin Provincial Park Travelogue "Canoe Lake pictures from the main launching deck"
- Wrote a Review Dramatically changing weather in Algonquin Provincial Park Warnings and Dangers
- Faiza-Ifrah and thuyduongvn are now friends.
- Uploaded a Video to Mississauga
PhotosSee All Photos (1695)
VideosSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mississauga Intro, 54 reviews, 165 photos, 4 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 35 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 32 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Massachusetts Intro, 22 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pakistan Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Ontario Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florida Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22198 Reviews - 54001 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23037 Reviews - 47268 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7700 Reviews - 19770 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos