"Along Denali Highway (Paxson to Cantwell)" Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Travelogue by PA2AKgirl
Alaska Travel Guide: 7,084 reviews and 15,575 photos
Note: The Denali Highway doesn't go through Denali National Park. It connects the Richardson Highway to the Parks Highway--the only road that does so between Glennallen (Glenn Highway to Palmer) Fairbanks (where the 2 highways meet up)
This highway is one we've wanted to drive for some time. Unfortunately, we weren't in the state during its open months so we planned to take it this summer. We still will but really, the "road closed" thing was just a suggestion. Being so close to the date it's supposed to open, we decided to take drive during a time when few people would be traveling this route
Between October and mid May, this road isn't maintained. This means if something happens to you out here, it's not the state's fault and you're pretty much on your own. Since most of it is gravel and this area gets a ton of snow with bitter temperatures, the chance that something could happen isn't unrealistic.
So, why risk it? Well, if you like to use snowmachines/snowmobiles, it looks like a great area and you don't have to worry about cars. And if it's spring, there are lots of caribou here--no traffic to bother them. Maybe it's just the isolation that's appealing. For those just visiting Alaska, most likely the road will be open when you're here and none of this applies anyway.
A bit beyond the pavement on the Cantwell side, we came across this foreboding sign of the condtions ahead. Still, it's placement right on the side of the road makes you wonder if someone put it there.
This is Alaska. By this I mean, it's what you think of when you picture this state. It's empty, it's not an easy road one that winds through open tundra. You can see forever but you feel small. It's quiet. Absolutely silent except for the running of the new thawed streams and some birds. The way Alaska is supposed to be.
Late April and there is still quite a bit of snow...it's also windy and a little cold. But that just added to the beauty and kept most other drivers away. We'll be back in the summer, though because there are trails that run along this highway--part of the Delta Wild and Scenic River and the Tangle Lakes Archaeological District. Also, there were clouds hiding the Wrangell Mountains. From here, on a clear day, the view is supposed to be incredible. This whole glacially carved area is incredible, though...
There are lodges along the highway and camping areas. Right at junction of the Richardson and the Denali highways, there is this place. We took a picture of it not because they are especially lovely cabins but because it's a weird combination of things they advertise to try to lure in the guests.
So, it's not like this road connects 2 major cities. It was used originally as the only road to get to Denali National Park (when it was called McKinley National Park). Paxson has some gas, a place to eat, lodging and this poor former roadhouse. Less than 50 people live here...
You're approaching Denali National Park...gorgeous backdrop, big park, railroad, lots of tourism from the Parks Highway...this place has to have a decent population, right? Well, close. 166. More of the same: lodge, gas, food and a trading post. Lots of ORV riding here.
UPDATE: drove the highway again in August. More information is in an album on my homepage
More Travelogues (4)
Written Aug 31, 2007
Glenn Highway (Anchorage to Glennallen)
Written Apr 30, 2007
Seward Highway (Anchorage to Seward)
Written Aug 31, 2007
Parks Highway (Wasilla to Fairbanks)
Written Jul 26, 2007
Richardson Highway (Fairbanks to Valdez)
- See All Sled Dog Demonstration at Denali
- See All Hiking
- See All At the end of the pavement
- See All So cute and so burly:)
- See All Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine
- See All Roadhouses
- See All Tough exterior, kind interior
- See All Ugh, Whittier
- Local Bars
- Lots of stuff...
- See All another flying option
- to the arctic circle and beyond
- It could be the perfect souvenir
Been to Alaska?Share your travels with the world!
PA2AKgirl's Related Pages
Alaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of the Midnight Sun"
- "Alaska--my home for now (again)"
- "Alaska, up north and far away"
- "Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior"
- "The Last Great Frontier"
- "Alaska, America's Crown Jewel"
- "Alaska, land of beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alaska
- Hotels in Alaska
- Transportation in Alaska
- Nightlife in Alaska
- Restaurants in Alaska
- Shopping in Alaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Alaska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alaska
- 169 Reviews
- 296 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Alaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alaska
- updated a Alaska Travelogue "Along Denali Highway (Paxson to Cantwell)"
- Wrote a Review Sled Dog Demonstration at Denali in Alaska Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sled Dog Demonstration at Denali"
- Commented on one of kazander's Alaska travel pages
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: Exit Glacier Trail in Late May?"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 52 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lewisburg Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues