"Bike trip to Melidoni cave" Perama Travelogue by gubbi1
Perama Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 10 photos
Crossing the mountains from Bali towards Perama which is located down in the valley. On the right of the photo you can see a hill which holds the Melidoni cave. The entrance is at about half of its height.
At this point of the tour it was my first time to see what is behind Balis mountains.
Before continuing towards the cave and Perama, we filled up our water bottles at one of the beautiful churches you can find around on Crete Island.
This is the church, which is located at the feet of the hills westwards of Bali.
Thanks to our VTers I got the translation of this sign. Thank you!
Here is what our member dimilag answered...
"Hi, This is a plate put on the inauguration of the church and it says:
This Holy Temple of the Sacred Illustrius New Witness (Martyr) KYPRIANOS the Thaumaturge (Miracle Maker), was inaugurated on 3rd of November 1985 by the Honorable Metropolite of Rethymno & Avlopotamos & Titou (Areas of Crete) (Acting as) Archimandrite ANTHIMOS and Abbot CYRIANOS.
It has been written on Capitals following the Byzantine Lettering, as is the tradition in the Greek Orthodox Church.
Hope to help you. ....
StefanosS translated it this way:
"This Holy Church of the glorious saint holy martyr Cyprianus, the wonder-maker, was inaugurated on November 3, 1985, by His eminence Metropolitan Titos of Rethymnon and Avlopotamos, the parish priest being archimandrite Anthimos and the abbot being Cyprianus. "
Also a big thanks to globetrottand Elenitsa!!!
Looking back towards the mountains, we have just crossed to get from Bali towards Melidoni and Perama.
This is what we did all the biking for, the small cave of Melidoni. On my Perama page you have most probably read about the tragic history of the cave.
From the entrance of the cave you have a wonderful view towards the Psiloritis Psiloritis (Mount Ida), the highest mountain on Crete Island.
This is the log of the bike tour.
gubbi1's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Perama
- 0 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Perama?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Perama
Photos in PeramaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues