"National Railway Museum" Delhi Travelogue by Willettsworld
Delhi Travel Guide: 1,762 reviews and 4,465 photos
India has one of the world's largest rail networks with a route length of over 63,000km (39,000 miles) and tracks that cover over 100,000km (60,000 miles). There are about 7,150 stations, 12,600 passenger trains and 1,350 goods trains. The entire network employs 1.6 million people while 13 million passengers travel by train each day. Its one of Britan's best legacy's that was left to India and without it, India would have simply ground to a halt years ago.
This museum, located in southern New Delhi, was opened in 1977 and exhibits over 100 steam, diesel and electric locomotives, cranes, coaches and trucks. Exhibits on display include the world's oldest functioning steam loco, The Fairy Queen, dating from 1855, a Mysore Maharaja's saloon, trains and carriages from the Ooty and Darjeeling mountain railways and an indoor exhibits centre featuring model trains, pictures, photo's and general rail memorabilia. The museum is a must for all train buffs!
- See All School children
- See All Public inconveniences
- See All Catch up with fellow travellers
- See All Jaipur - The Pink City of Victory
- The worlds most beautiful building
- See All Taxi
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Delhi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Delhi"
- "Capital city of India Delle"
- "Like the cats, this city had seven lives"
- "Shahjahanabad, as old as its history ...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Delhi
- Hotels in Delhi
- Transportation in Delhi
- Nightlife in Delhi
- Restaurants in Delhi
- Shopping in Delhi
- Warnings and Dangers in Delhi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Delhi
- 108 Reviews
- 370 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Delhi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Delhi
Photos in DelhiSee All Photos (370)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues