"Purana Qila" Delhi Travelogue by Willettsworld
Delhi Travel Guide: 1,769 reviews and 4,442 photos
Popularly known as Pandavon-ka Kila, the Purana Qila stands on a mound which may possibly mark the site of the town of Indraprastha of the Mahabharata story. Emperor Humayun laid the foundations of a city named Dinpanah or 'Refuge of the Faithful' here, in 1534, and the inner citadel of this city is the Purana Qila. He conceived Dinpanah as 'a southern Samarkand' or refuge for learned men of all Islamic sects who could discuss theology at leisure under the patronage of their emperor. However, in 1540, Sher Shah Suri captured the city and renamed it Delhi Shershahi or Shergarh and built many buildings in it. In 1555, Humayun recaptured it and lived here until his death.
The Purana Qila is irregularly oblong on plan with bastions on corners and along the western ramparts. Its principal gateways on the north, west and south are crowned with Chhatris and are known respectively as Talaqi, Bara and Humayun Darwazas. The exterior of the Bara Darwaza gate was originally decorated with coloured tiles and the rooms with incised plasterwork. The gate is said to be either built by Humayun or repaired by him, as his name is inscribed in ink in the recess of the gate.
- See All School children
- See All Public inconveniences
- See All Catch up with fellow travellers
- See All Jaipur - The Pink City of Victory
- The worlds most beautiful building
- See All Taxi
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Delhi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Delhi"
- "Capital city of India Delle"
- "Like the cats, this city had seven lives"
- "Shahjahanabad, as old as its history ...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Delhi
- Hotels in Delhi
- Transportation in Delhi
- Nightlife in Delhi
- Restaurants in Delhi
- Shopping in Delhi
- Warnings and Dangers in Delhi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Delhi
- 108 Reviews
- 370 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Delhi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Delhi
Photos in DelhiSee All Photos (370)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues