"What I do in My Spare Time: Euphorbia&Pachypodium!" Personal Page by lonestar_philomath
Over the years I collected many things. The only hobbies persisting over the decades has been my love of growing and propagating plants, and traveling. I am a Life member of the "Cactus and Succulent Society of America" and grow several species including Aloe, Cacti, Euphorbia, and Pachypodium. I shall include pictures shortly of a representative of each type. All of my plants were purchased from Arid Lands Greenhouses and grown with care.
All the stems grow radially around a main point consisting of caudexes (enlarged roots used for water storage) under the soil. This plant was approximately six years old when I took this picture. It suffered frost damage in 2005 and 2006, but made a remarkable come back.
The "flower" are actually modified leaves and the tiny yellow center is the flower. I have been able to propagate this by hand pollinating these flowers and producing viable seed!
When i departed Texas for Virginia, I had to give up 90% of my collection so I no longer have any to sell. I was fortunate as a seed of this euphorbia landed in one of the potted plants I kept! It is doing well.
This picture illustrates details of this diminutive euphorbia coming from the Arabian peninsula and Ethiopia/Somalia/Eritrea regions. After 10 years of growth the main plant attained a height of 18-20 cm and had 12-15 stems in 2004. Last summer (2006) the main plant suddenly died however, I am happy to report I still possess all the stems and they are well on their way to becoming a healthy plant like their mother. Several have already produced side stems of their own!
This euphorbia is one of only a few species possessing paired spines. I hkept four of these euphorbias as they are small. All cuttings are doing well and branching nicely.
This euphorbia comes from western Africa where it grows into small trees. When I purchased my plant it was only 3-5 cm tall. After nine years of growth both of my plants are approximately 40 cm. Both started producing stems 1 to 2 years ago.
If you look closely, note the sticker growth!
Most pachys come from the island of Malagasy however, there are also several varieties on the Ethiopian peninsula.
I have gotten lucky the past two years. Both years, one flower of many has been pollinated and produced a 12 inch long green bean! Unfortunately the seeds were not viable. I have had better luck taking a cutting from this plant so now I have two!
I had to give up this pachypodium before moving however I am fortunate to see it at the Botanical Garden along the mall whenever I desire.
More Personal Pages (2)
Written Jul 14, 2008
What I do in My Spare Time: Cactus
Written Jul 27, 2007
Some of my favorite Food
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 573 Reviews
- 2,629 Photos
- 9 Countries
- 90 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
- lonestar_philomath and Ewingjr98 are now friends.
- updated a Puerto Rico Travelogue "Lago Dos Bocas"
updated their Profile Page "Goings on update 2009.01.01"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Albert Einstein Memorial"
- Commented on Cornelius40's profile page
- Wrote a Review Metro to/from DC in Virginia Transportation
- Posted in Travel Erfurt Forum "Re: Cost of living in Erfurt"
Top 10 Pages
- Erfurt Intro, 34 reviews, 142 photos, 5 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 23 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Fort Worth Intro, 30 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Weimar Intro, 26 reviews, 82 photos, 3 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ebrach Intro, 12 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bamberg Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Massachusetts Intro, 6 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22200 Reviews - 54008 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23039 Reviews - 47275 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11942 Reviews - 26476 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7699 Reviews - 19779 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3342 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos