"Painted Skies in Red, Purple, Pink and Blue" Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton Travelogue by Kakapo2
Lyttelton Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 320 photos
As I have done a lot of watercolour painting in the past I am always amazed that sometimes you just have to take the camera to get the same impressions on a print. We would call such an effect wet-in-wet technique ;-)
This also looks like wet-in-wet technique, with just two different blue tones and water, as you do not paint white in watercolour paintings. Areas which you want to keep white are just not painted on, and if colour gets into those areas you must be quick with a piece of cloth or a sponge or tissue which sucks out the colour as long as it is very wet.
This sky looks as if someone had dotted oil-colour clouds onto an orange-pink-purple coloured watercolour background.
This is just fantasy going wild, a little bit like batik technique on a fabric canvas.
A layer of purple on an orange-pink canvas, and then oil-painting over the watercolour.
In a watercolour painting you can create such draining clouds by applying paint and water in several steps.
That is where winter normally takes place around the harbour. In winter temperatures are higher than in Christchurch, especially at night, due to Lyttelton's sheltered position. It can be 5 degrees warmer here. Sometimes there are reports about snow chaos in Christchurch, on the other side of the Port Hills, and we do not see a flake at all. When finally it snows in Lyttelton the snow is gone after some hours or already after some minutes. The real measure for winter and snow is a look to the other side of the harbour to the slopes of Mt. Herbert and Mt. Bradley. It is very rare that the snow reaches down to Diamond Harbour.
- See All Accommodation in Lyttelton and surrounds
- See All CLOSED DOWN
- See All Riding Tours in the Harbour Area
- See All How Lyttelton and NZ Save the Planet
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Lyttelton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New beginnings in the epicentre"
- "Port Town"
- "In the Mouth of the Volcano"
- "Lyttleton, South Island"
- "Lyttleton by the harbour"
- "LYTTELTON HARBOUR"
- "Lyttleton Harbor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lyttelton
- Hotels in Lyttelton
- Transportation in Lyttelton
- Nightlife in Lyttelton
- Restaurants in Lyttelton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lyttelton
- 65 Reviews
- 170 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (121)
Have you been to Lyttelton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lyttelton
Photos in LytteltonSee All Photos (170)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 244 reviews, 606 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 124 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 93 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton Intro, 65 reviews, 170 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Coast Intro, 68 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm Intro, 55 reviews, 152 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 72 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 49 reviews, 102 photos, 7 travelogues