"New observations" Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Travelogue by uglyscot
Khartoum Travel Guide: 352 reviews and 749 photos
There is so much building going on, that the changes that have taken place since we left in 2001 are already being surpassed by new developments.
for most of the 20th century there were only two bridges; then three more built. In the time we were away another has become operational, and yet another is well underway; this time joining Khartoum with Tuti Island.
Proposed development along the White Nile where the acacia forest is/was [the sunt forest] means high rise apartment blocks and hotels might cause damage to or even replace some interesting places like the Botanic Garden, which attracts birds and insects. It is also used by students from the universities, and college of fine arts whose students come to practise drawing plants.
Foreign heads of state are often entertained by a visit to the garden.
Gamhouriya Street is one of the oldest streets in Khartoum. It runs from what was the railway station to the Republican Palace. At the [ railway] end is the Faculty of Medicine , University of Khartoum, further along is the Meridien Hotel, Comboni College for boys, Unity High School for Girls, The Colisseum Cinema, and then the start of the commercial area, and facing the end of the road the Palace where Gamhouriya Street joins Gamaa Street [University Road]. Normally this is a very busy road, and features in news broadcasts whenever there are demonstrations. But, on a Friday morning it is almost empty, and reminds me of days long past when I drove along it every day.
The silver- domed building at the right hand of the picture picture was once the Stack Medical Laboratory but is now part of the Medical Faculty library. It dates back to the colonial era and has a style of architecture that reminds me of New Delhi..
The Agricultural Banj of Sudan is in the Mogran area of Khartoum where the white Nile meets the Blue Nile. It is not far from the National Museum and the Botanic Gardens. It was one of the tallest buildings in the area.
Gamaa [University] Avenure has a lot of big buildings dating from the colonial period. These are mainly government buildings : The Bank of Sudan, The Ministry of Defence, The Judiciary and many others.
In the residential areas too there has been a lot of development. Along Africa road there are springing up numerous restaurants, fast food cafes, clothing stores, supermarkets and commercial enterprises.
The street now could be anywhere in the Middle East with well-known chains like Gad and Mumen,and imitations of American chains.
- See All football
- See All coffee , cakes and snacks
- See All Traffic lights
- See All In sickness and in health
- See All See Khartoum War Cemetery
uglyscot's Related Pages
Khartoum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where the Two Rivers Merge into the Nile"
- "Where Africa and Arabia meet at the Nile"
- "Where The Two Niles Meet"
- "Elephant Trunk"
- "Discovering Khartoum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khartoum
- Hotels in Khartoum
- Transportation in Khartoum
- Nightlife in Khartoum
- Restaurants in Khartoum
- Shopping in Khartoum
- Warnings and Dangers in Khartoum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Khartoum
- 67 Reviews
- 274 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 48 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Khartoum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khartoum
Videos in KhartoumSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Khartoum hotel reviews
- Al Salam Rotana Hotel
- 114 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Burj Al-Fateh Hotel
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Regency Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- 5M Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2012
- Hilton Khartoum
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Grand Holiday Villa Khartoum
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 18, 2013