"5 Whippets at the Beach" Kauai Travelogue by AKtravelers
Kauai Travel Guide: 971 reviews and 2,584 photos
For parts of December 2006 and January 2007, Carmen went to summer camp on Kaua'i. During that time she stayed with Steve and Laurie and their four whippets. Like Carmen, the whippets are newcomers to Hawaii but being Floridians they are very miuch used to the sun, sand and salt water. Carmen, on the other hand, would prefer a couch.
Here's the princess Carmen as she scopes out the vast sands of Polihale at the foot of the Na Pali cliffs. She likes the way the scenary complements her beauty, she says, but suggests that the cliffs include more purples and pinks as those are her better colors.
The other four whippets can't wait to get in the water. Here is the ocean is wild, inbound by reefs and unblocked by land from here to Asia. The surf may be up, but if Eddie would go, so would the whippets!
Polihale Beach is wide and sparsely populated at the far western end of the road on Kaua'i. Here, the whippets can be unleashed because there's really no place they can run off to and there's no deer to chase. In fact, Hawaii has none of those amusing furry mammals -- no squirrels, no chipmunks, no woodchucks, so it appears that Carmen found this all a little boring.
Just like with some humans, the beach is for showing off. And Maya is quite the show-off!
Shortly after this phot was taken, a rogue wave washed up under Laurie and the whippets. Carmen was scared and I wisked her off her feet and carried her to shore. She did not approach the wet part of the sand again that day.
Maya, on the other hand, is a beach-loving dog. Nothing like the feeling of cool sand between one's toes and one's nostrils!
After an hour in the sun it was time to leave so Kevin could fly back to Oahu. Without the whippets, the beach was indeed a lifeless place.
- See All The National Tropical Botanical Garden
- See All The Dying Sugar Economy
- See All See the Rare Birds at Kilauea Lighthouse
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Kauai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paradise on Earth!"
- "Kauai: Isle of Golden Dreams"
- "Our Dream Vacation"
- "HEAVEN ON EARTH"
- "Kauai: Unspoiled beauty"
- "Kauai in a word "Paradise""
- "Kauai - The Garden Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kauai
- Hotels in Kauai
- Transportation in Kauai
- Nightlife in Kauai
- Restaurants in Kauai
- Shopping in Kauai
- Warnings and Dangers in Kauai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kauai
- 16 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Kauai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kauai
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Suggested Itinerary for 10..."
- Wrote a Review The National Tropical Botanical Garden in Kauai Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "The National Tropical Botanical Garden"
- updated a Kauai Travelogue "5 Whippets at the Beach"
- Commented on one of jadedmuse's Kauai travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues