"Scenic balloon flight across Canberra" Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Travelogue by tiabunna
Canberra Travel Guide: 951 reviews and 2,618 photos
That's what keeps us up there! Some would say Canberra, being the seat of the National Parliament, is the ideal place for hot air balloons. :-)
It's surprisingly noisy when the burner is alight, peaceful when it's not - but then you start to come down. The fringe benefit is that, on a chilly morning, the radiant heat from the burner makes the gondola a warmer place to be.
Soon we're away, levitating above other balloons not yet ready to ascend into the early morning air.
As we lift off, looking toward the northeast there is an excellent view of Canberra airport, surrounded by rural buffer zones, and with just a few traces of mist and fog. A few months earlier there would have been thick fog everywhere on a morning such as this - see my travel tip!
Drifting slowly westward, we're soon heading across the Parliamentary Triangle (to the left, between the two bridges), with Canberra city centre in the distance on the right.
Now we're over the Parliamentary Triangle, in fact almost exactly over Old Parliament House. To the left are the National Library and Questacon, with the city across the lake. It was interesting to see how quickly the light was increasing and the colour changing as the sun rose higher - compare the colour in this photo with the previous one!
While above the Parliamentary Triangle we climbed higher and I took this panorama looking from the city (left) past Mt Ainslie (near centre) with the War Memorial and Anzac Parade in front of it, then toward the Kings Avenue Bridge and High Court / National Gallery (lower right). The airport is in the far right distance.
From a good height, we also had an excellent view of the National Museum of Australia, sited on the peninsula in the foreground - Black Mountain with the Telstra tower is in the background.
All too soon (but a great many photos later), it was time to land again. Here we're heading toward our shadow as it reaches an open area in Weston Park, a popular recreational area adjacent to Lake Burley Griffin.
More Travelogues (2)
Written May 10, 2006
Mt Stromlo - a phoenix gradually arises
Written Feb 17, 2008
Embassy of the Peoples Republic of China
- See All The National Portrait Gallery
- See All Canberra District wineries
- See All Out of this world?
- See All Licensed Clubs
- One of the few choices in Tuggeranong
- See All WHEELS display
tiabunna's Related Pages
Canberra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful, immoral, tempting and terribly ........"
- "CANBERRA - Aboriginal for "MEETING PLACE""
- "The Bush Capital..or..a good sheep paddock wasted?"
- "A Capital Idea"
- "Canberra Our Home"
- "A Capital City in the Middle of Nowhere"
- "CANBERRA, WE KEEP COMING BACK HERE!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canberra
- Hotels in Canberra
- Transportation in Canberra
- Nightlife in Canberra
- Restaurants in Canberra
- Shopping in Canberra
- Warnings and Dangers in Canberra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canberra
- 60 Reviews
- 150 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 48 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Canberra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canberra
- Posted in Travel Antarctica Forum "Re: AM I CRAZY?"
- Commented on one of tiabunna's Canberra travel pages
- updated a Canberra Travel Page "The Bush Capital..or..a good sheep paddock wasted?"
- Wrote a Review The National Portrait Gallery about National Portrait Gallery in Canberra Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The National Portrait Gallery"
Photos in CanberraSee All Photos (150)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos