"South America Planner" Personal Page by barryg23
For many years it’s been my dream to take a year off to go travelling in South America. In September 2007 the dream will come true when I and my girlfriend, Ruth, leave Heathrow for Buenos Aires to start what will hopefully be a fantastic adventure. It wasn’t an easy decision to give up my job and leave London, but I’ve absolutely no regrets. We’ve pored over maps, planned itineraries, read the guide books, watched the movies, started to learn Spanish. There’s not much left to do now except countdown he days until we leave.
We plan to spend 3 weeks in Buenos Aires, where we’ll do a Spanish course and hopefully learn to Tango! We then leave for Uruguay for a fortnight before crossing to Brazil and winding our way up to Rio. After Rio, we turn back towards Iguaza Falls, and cross to Paraguay, one of South America’s least explored countries.
By November we hope to be back in Argentina and to then travel the length and breadth of the country over the following two months. If the dollar stays low we’ll consider a trip to Antarctica!
We then turn north and travel up through Chile for 1-2 months. Time and money permitting we’ll do a side trip to Easter Island from Santiago. We haven’t really planned much beyond here but we do know our finishing city is Mexico, that we plan to depart from there in September 2008 and that we’d like to see every country in South America and hopefully most in Central America along the way.
Many of the books I've read this year have been in preparation for our trip. If anyone has a recommendation for a good book related to South America, Antarctica or Central America, I would love to hear it. I'd be particularly interested in books by native South Americans as most of what I've read so far has been written by visitors or travellers. I’ve rated these below too for anyone whose interested.
At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig: Travels Through Paraguay by John Gimlette 7/10
Motorcycle Diaries - Che Guevara 9/10
The Lost City of the Incas - Hiram Bingham 9/10
Between Extremes by Brian Keenan and John McCarthy 6/10
Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru by Matthew Parris 6/10
The Gringo Trail - Mark Mann 6/10
An Unsung Hero: Tom Crean, Antarctic Survivor by Michael Smith 7/10
Cuba - The Land of Miracles by Stephen Smith 6/10
Lonely Planet Journeys: Green Dreams Travels in Central America by Steve Benz 6/10
Bad Times in Buenos Aires by Miranda France 8/10
Pole to Pole by Michael Palin 8/10
The Tailor of Panama by John le Carré 7/10
The Endurance: Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition by Caroline Alexander 8/10
Shadows on the Wasteland: Crossing Antarctica with Ranulph Fiennes by Mike Stroud 7/10
Terra Incognita - Sara Wheeler 9/10
Travels in a Thin Country - Sara Wheeler 8/10
West from Montevideo - J D Holzhauer 5/10
In Patagonia - Bruce Chatwin
The Old Patagonian Express by Paul Theroux
South American Diaries - John Hopkins
Nostromo by Joseph Conrad
Touching the Void 7/10
Motorcycle Diaries 8/10
Amores Perros 9/10
March of the Penguins 8/10
More Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 2,896 Reviews
- 5,475 Photos
- 32 Countries
- 200 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
- barryg23 and Queenza15 are now friends.
- created a Penang Travel Page "Penang"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Penang"
updated their Profile Page "My Travels"
- Wrote a Review A night in the monastery in Rila Hotels
- Commented on barryg23's profile page
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Best of The 00's. Your picks."
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 111 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 74 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 74 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 54 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 51 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 47 reviews, 95 photos
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos