"overview of Abu ushar" Abu `Ushar Travelogue by uglyscot
Abu `Ushar Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 35 photos
Walking through the village you are aware of the uneven terrain, and see there are trees inside courtyards. However, to get a clearer picture of the village for my historical research, I sent my husband up to the upper storey of the mosque [where the women pray] where I hoped the height would show the village more clearly. It's not as good as I hoped but does give an idea.
Probably the earliest settlers built their homes on one of the two dunes beside the river. These are separated by a khor, or water channel. The situation would have given access to the river as a source of water, yet keep them out of danger from the annual floods. There was a forest in the neighbourhood for grazing cattle, and for fuel.
As the families grew, new courtyards would be built beside the ancestral home. In time, some of the family moved to a nearby area and started a satellite settlement either because they or their animals needed more space. It can be seen how still family groups congregate together in areas. Sometimes land was sold and new people moved in, but the original pattern is still visible.
Abu Ushar was well known in the past for its schools., especially Quaranic schools. The village itself has a history that includes a group of sheikhs [learned religious men] coming and settling in the village. In more modern times there was a Quranic school, intermediate school and secondary schools as well
To the south of Abu ushar itself is an extension where there is a market, police offices and a new building which , I think, is the telephone office as there is big sign for Sudatel outside.
The "Escape" carries excess water from the canals of the Gezira. In August the water was brown compared to the colour of the Blue Nile itself.
More Travelogues (2)
Written Aug 10, 2008
Down by the River side
Written Aug 15, 2009
more street scenes
uglyscot's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Abu `Ushar
- 7 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Abu `Ushar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abu `Ushar
Photos in Abu `UsharSee All Photos (35)
Videos in Abu `UsharSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues