"Madagascar' flowers" Africa Travelogue by Norali
Africa Travel Guide: 78,472 reviews and 217,304 photos
Malagasy periwinkle is the first endemic type that comes to my mind as anticancer drugs derive from Malagasy pink periwinkle. Yet, the 4th largest world island counts so many endemic flora species. I've read endemic flora percentage was higher than endemic fauna species out of the total on here. Over the 80% of flora are believed to be endemic.
Can handle dry & warm weather.
Reportedly endemic as well.
Do you know that vanilla is an orchid ?
Madagascar ~ world leader in vanilla exports ~ has some other 1000 orchids too. I know many of them but don't know whether those samples were endemic or not... Still, 85% of them are endemic to the Island.
More on endemicity in Madagascar, check http://www.wildmadagascar.org/flora/
More Travelogues (1)
- See All African Peoples...
- See All Your best "comfort food" is from...
- Meeting the nightactive lemurs
- See All Congolese food
- See All Rice as staple food, Ricefields...
- Do it outdoor
- See All Dress to impress - La sape
- See All Hire an ANGAP guides when visiting...
- Taxi-brousses are not a miracle-...
- Medecines, Mosquito repellent,...
- Air-Madagascar international & internal...
Been to Africa?Share your travels with the world!
Norali's Related Pages
Africa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AFRICA - LAND OF HISTORY & FRIENDSHIP"
- "A continent full of contrasts."
- "Africa, a never ending lovestory !"
- "My private Africa"
- "Africa the oldest Continent"
- "Africa - The Adventure Continent"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Africa
- Hotels in Africa
- Transportation in Africa
- Nightlife in Africa
- Restaurants in Africa
- Shopping in Africa
- Warnings and Dangers in Africa
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Africa
- 586 Reviews
- 1,178 Photos
- 1 Countries
- 17 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Africa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Africa
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Crochet bag... for bag ladies"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Meeting the nightactive lemurs"
- Wrote a Review African Peoples... in Africa Favorites
- updated a Africa Travel Page "Africa Off beat track: in my country Madagascar"
- Commented on one of Geisha_Girl's Africa travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues