"Antoni Rzasa ~ Coincidence or karma??" Sandomierz Travelogue by Pawtuxet

Sandomierz Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 137 photos

Gosia & Janet's discovery

Let me tell you a little story.
You may have read in other tips and pages how I searched for years to find my roots - the place where my maternal grandparents lived in Poland. Happenstance - the fall of the iron curtain - and the expansion of the internet came together and fated me to find Gosia on-line in a Polish forum. Many emails later and after a few trips to Poland, we found grandfather's village and on this trip --- his church. The search took us thru several villages and towns where the family name was unheard of. Rzasa seldom if ever appeared in phone books until we reached the Kolbuszowa - Cmolas area... villages near Rzeszow.

Destiny

On this day when Gosia and I were visiting the old house in Sandomierz on a boiling hot afternoon, I had to go out to the vestibule to sit and cool off. Later joined by Gosia, we sat in a daze, enjoying the bit of cooler air near the open door.
Suddenly Gosia alerted me to look at the small sales table where the woman sells admission tickets. There on the shelf stoood a black book with only a name on the cover -- ANTONI RZASA. We were stunned to see my family's name in this place! It was even more surprising to find the man was an artist whose work was in a temporary exhibit here and we had come at precisely the right time to visit!

Predestination?

Of course I bought the book, and reviewed his work. Talking to the priest who was the curator of the museum, we learned the artist is deceased, but his son continues at his institute, doing similar work as his father. And the son's name is MARCIN RZASA -- my grandfather's full name. Let's call it Providence - especially because that's the name of my capitol city in Rhode Island. Or you might express it as happenstance, a fluke or destiny.

Messages

We eventually left the little museum, walking up the sidewalk discussing our good fortune to have found this exhibit - when I was presented with a large feather at my feet. I find them often - directly in my path. Gosia and I grinned because I've been told by someone who deals in old indian lore that it represents a message from the universe.

• Page Updated Jul 20, 2008

• alza's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM

The Antoni Rzasa book, what a moment for you! I enjoyed yr Intro & tips on Sandomierz very much. Thanks!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
      Mar 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Thank you so much. I love those little jewel like villages that are so little known... and I rejoice when one of you enjoys it with me.

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Sandomierz

Have you been to Sandomierz?

Latest Activity in Sandomierz