"Antoni Rzasa ~ Coincidence or karma??" Sandomierz Travelogue by Pawtuxet
Sandomierz Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 137 photos
Let me tell you a little story.
You may have read in other tips and pages how I searched for years to find my roots - the place where my maternal grandparents lived in Poland. Happenstance - the fall of the iron curtain - and the expansion of the internet came together and fated me to find Gosia on-line in a Polish forum. Many emails later and after a few trips to Poland, we found grandfather's village and on this trip --- his church. The search took us thru several villages and towns where the family name was unheard of. Rzasa seldom if ever appeared in phone books until we reached the Kolbuszowa - Cmolas area... villages near Rzeszow.
On this day when Gosia and I were visiting the old house in Sandomierz on a boiling hot afternoon, I had to go out to the vestibule to sit and cool off. Later joined by Gosia, we sat in a daze, enjoying the bit of cooler air near the open door.
Suddenly Gosia alerted me to look at the small sales table where the woman sells admission tickets. There on the shelf stoood a black book with only a name on the cover -- ANTONI RZASA. We were stunned to see my family's name in this place! It was even more surprising to find the man was an artist whose work was in a temporary exhibit here and we had come at precisely the right time to visit!
Of course I bought the book, and reviewed his work. Talking to the priest who was the curator of the museum, we learned the artist is deceased, but his son continues at his institute, doing similar work as his father. And the son's name is MARCIN RZASA -- my grandfather's full name. Let's call it Providence - especially because that's the name of my capitol city in Rhode Island. Or you might express it as happenstance, a fluke or destiny.
We eventually left the little museum, walking up the sidewalk discussing our good fortune to have found this exhibit - when I was presented with a large feather at my feet. I find them often - directly in my path. Gosia and I grinned because I've been told by someone who deals in old indian lore that it represents a message from the universe.
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Sandomierz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sandomierz...it's HOW old !!????"
- "~ Sandomierz, the Great ~"
- "Town of 7th hills"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sandomierz
- Hotels in Sandomierz
- Transportation in Sandomierz
- Nightlife in Sandomierz
- Restaurants in Sandomierz
- Shopping in Sandomierz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sandomierz
- 14 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Sandomierz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sandomierz
Photos in SandomierzSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos