"Kruger & Mala Mala Animals" Kruger National Park Travelogue by Ash59
Kruger National Park Travel Guide: 623 reviews and 1,709 photos
One minute, they are just standing there looking at us.....
And the next, they decide to cross the road, regardless of what is in the way. Wieghing anywhere between 4 to 6 tonnes, we were not going to get in their way!
There are two type of Rhonoceros; Black & White. This does not relate to their colour, just their type. The word descriptive "White" is thought to have come from the Africans word for "Wide". The Black Rhino is rarer than the white due to excessive poaching for their horns, which are mostly used in dagger handles as a symbol of wealth in many countries, and as a febrifuge in Chinese traditional medicine. Contrary to popular opinion, only small amounts of the horns are consumed as an aphrodisiac .
These Rhino's were white.
Believe it not, not all girrafes are the same. There are nine different sub-species spread across Africa. I wouldn't have a clue how to identify the different types but I am told that it is generally the type and spread of their marking that makes all the difference. All I know is that they are tall, graceful creatures that are hard to spot if they are amongst trees.
This is an unusual view of a Giraffe. According to the ranger that was with us, he had never seen them sit down to rest before. He said that it seemed to be a dangerous thing to do as they are slow to get up and if attacked by a predator, it would have difficulty getting away. Happily, as we drove away, the giraffe got up and ambled off, totally oblivous of our concern for it.
Hmmmm, I think I will have to open my eyes a bit when I take photos. In general, I thought that the Kruger was a dull muddy brown colour bit looking a this photo, you can clearly see different colours in the bushes.
Lovely, aren't they? There are millions are these animals and unfortuantely, cute as they are, they are the main food source of South African predators, both animal and man!
More Travelogues (1)
Ash59's Related Pages
Kruger National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "*THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK* and the surrouding area"
- "Kruger, the total wildlife experience..in comfort!"
- "Kruger National Park"
- "The Kruger National Park – Wildlife Paradise"
- "NON-STOP WILDLIFE"
- "Kruger by Car !"
- "Another Giraffe?!?!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kruger National Park
- Hotels in Kruger National Park
- Transportation in Kruger National Park
- Nightlife in Kruger National Park
- Restaurants in Kruger National Park
- Shopping in Kruger National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kruger National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kruger National Park
- 4 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Kruger National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kruger National Park
Photos in Kruger National ParkSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 59 photos
- Krakow Intro, 44 reviews, 45 photos
- Cornwall Intro, 36 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stirling Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù Intro, 8 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Kenya Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Harwich Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bunratty Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues