"Kruger & Mala Mala Animals" Kruger National Park Travelogue by Ash59

Kruger National Park Travel Guide: 670 reviews and 1,785 photos

Rhinoceros

One minute, they are just standing there looking at us.....

And the next, they decide to cross the road, regardless of what is in the way. Wieghing anywhere between 4 to 6 tonnes, we were not going to get in their way!

There are two type of Rhonoceros; Black & White. This does not relate to their colour, just their type. The word descriptive "White" is thought to have come from the Africans word for "Wide". The Black Rhino is rarer than the white due to excessive poaching for their horns, which are mostly used in dagger handles as a symbol of wealth in many countries, and as a febrifuge in Chinese traditional medicine. Contrary to popular opinion, only small amounts of the horns are consumed as an aphrodisiac .

These Rhino's were white.

Giraffe

Believe it not, not all girrafes are the same. There are nine different sub-species spread across Africa. I wouldn't have a clue how to identify the different types but I am told that it is generally the type and spread of their marking that makes all the difference. All I know is that they are tall, graceful creatures that are hard to spot if they are amongst trees.

This is an unusual view of a Giraffe. According to the ranger that was with us, he had never seen them sit down to rest before. He said that it seemed to be a dangerous thing to do as they are slow to get up and if attacked by a predator, it would have difficulty getting away. Happily, as we drove away, the giraffe got up and ambled off, totally oblivous of our concern for it.

Zebra

Hmmmm, I think I will have to open my eyes a bit when I take photos. In general, I thought that the Kruger was a dull muddy brown colour bit looking a this photo, you can clearly see different colours in the bushes.

Impala

Lovely, aren't they? There are millions are these animals and unfortuantely, cute as they are, they are the main food source of South African predators, both animal and man!

• Page Updated Aug 28, 2006

Comments

Ash59

“Tomorrow is a mystery, live for today!”

Badges & Stats in Kruger National Park

Have you been to Kruger National Park?

Latest Activity in Kruger National Park