"family, dance, music, love" Personal Page by monina_c
ian diamant inspired me to add a dancing album in my page too. thank you ian.
the earliest memory i have of dancing is when my dad brought home a parlophone phonograph, the one that runs on 6 eveready batteries. :p my dad would put on records while my sister and i cleared the wide wooden sofa my maternal granddad made for our living room. my sister and i will then stand on our wooden sofa as our parents took our hands and taught us cha-cha and tango. so much giggling and clowning around. then after we're all tired, my mother will put on her engelbert humperdink and elvis presley and my dad will sing along. i think i memorized the theme from the godfather "speak softly love" to please her.
mom and dad usually make us perform for their friends who came to visit. that wooden sofa was the first stage i ever performed in. performer's heaven, captive audience and all the food i can eat! : )
i think my dad used the dance as a way to soften my mother's heart towards him whenever they had disagreements. i remember many a time when we watched him twirling and dipping my mother around the house until she started laughing and all was well again between the two of them.
my father is a good dancer and a good singer. he really enjoyed dancing and singing and tried to teach us early enough in our lives for it too take. sorry dad not a single one of us can carry a tune to save ourselves! he was a member of a jazz band in his old university. he's the guy on the right wearing striped sweater.
she loved dancing. she could tango and cha-cha with the best of them. her co-teachers always included her in their dance troupe.
this picture shows her dancing the sombrero dance in one of her school's teacher day celebrations. that's my mom in front in the green patadyong
my grandma made my japanese paper "hula skirt " and my mother's youngest sister sew my top when i danced the hula during the christmas party for my first grade class. i remember my best friend lisa (the girl kneeling at my left) running around with me after the program, our skirts slowly shredding behind us. :)
that's me, kneeling, 4th from your left.
my younger sister was also a regular part of her class' program. she is a total performer. she's a good dancer but was never a good singer, except in our parents' loving eyes. i remember one time an aunt telling her that she'll sink the boat if my sister doesn't stop singing, "row, row, row your boat"!
this photo shows her dancing the "la jota" during her class' graduation.
to complete the circle is my brother. he died at 19 due to pontine glioma (brain cancer). but the memories of his dancing with us still remain. he used to toddle around us as we danced with our parents in the living room.
this picture shows him at age 9 dancing the "tinikling". a dance that is both energetic and scary because you have to be skillful enough not to get your feet caught between clashing bamboo poles .
weirdest dance experience:
dancing the tango in my 501s and hiking boots. it was just surreal. having to project smoldering passion while galumphing around like paul bunyan! it didn't help that my partner had longer hair than me! : )
dancing lou vega's mambo #5 amidst the raised eyebrows of pre-dinner elitista crowd in gillispie's at shangri-la, edsa. the raised brows reached the ceiling when my friend removed her shoes to dance barefoot and a white guy suddenly upped and joined us. whoever said "dance as if nobody's watching" knew whereof he/she speaks!!! people should try that more often!
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. - Kahlil Gibran”
- Member Rank:
- 0 0 7 1 9
- Forum Rank:
- 0 0 4 3 2
- Real Name
- Sariaya, Philippines
- Member Since
- Mar 29, 2006
- 346 Reviews
- 1,100 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats
- 346 Reviews
- 1,100 Photos
- 7 Countries
- 58 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
- Wrote a Review :) watch the sunrise at Sabang Beach in Baler Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to ":) watch the sunrise at Sabang Beach"
- Commented on one of monina_c's Donsol travelogues
- Posted in Travel Bagac Forum "Re: local transport service"
updated their Personal Page "Tagalog Jokes...at ibang patawa"
- updated a Anda Travel Page "ANDAnda! aka Boracay of the North"
- monina_c and hannette are now friends.
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davao City Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa City Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bolinao Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Cagayan Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bontoc Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cagbalete Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Angkor Wat Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sariaya Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 6 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sagada Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue