"How's KiKi's Hand?" Personal Page by KiKitC
I tried so hard not to have pictures taken of me in Hawaii with a huge "cast" on my hand. However, there were some unedited pictures that I now feel can be shared.
I had to face it. Hawaii changes everyone. It sure changed me. Having now named my injury my "Maui Owee."
The ordeal didn't end when we got home. Believe it or not, when I got back to New Jersey...with two pins in each of pinky and ring finger, sutures where my pinky was "sewn" back on...and requiring follow-up with another hand surgeon. I couldn't afford to stay in Maui to continue with the doctor there, so I began calling every hand surgeon in my insurance's book.
Not one would take me as a patient.
Why not? Well, the surgery was already done...so there wasn't alot of money to make on me with just follow-up visits. AND...because of the complexity of the injury, they were too afraid of the liability and shunned me like a leper.
I finally got to see a wonderful ortopeadic surgeon, not a hand specialist, but a wonderful doctor. When it became apparent that more surgery was needed, he told me that he doesn't do surgery anymore because of his hands. So, he sent me to HIS hand surgeon.
I had to have a procedure called tenolisis z-plasty. (medical professionals, forgive my spelling) The doctor filleted my hand open like a banana, and cleared out the scar tissue that resulted from the rebuild. For a good portion of the surgery, I was awake and numbed. The doctor dis this to see me actually open and close the hand before he sewed it back up. I was scheduled for an hour and a half procedure, and was in for three and a half.
I've continued in therapy, five days a week for a LONG time, and now down to three times a week. At least I've cut the therapy time down to an hour and a half instead of the four hours it was for a while.
Hey, the Great Spirit has awarded us more time to enjoy this world. And I am whole heartedly looking forward to each and every day.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 355 Reviews
- 876 Photos
- 2 Countries
- 71 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
- Wrote a Review Wading River from Speedwell to Beaver Branch in Chatsworth Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wading River from Speedwell to Beaver Branch"
- KiKitC and swass123 are now friends.
- Commented on croisbeauty's profile page
- created a Jenkins Travel Page "Pine Barrens Town"
updated their Profile Page "Where the Pavement Ends..."
- Posted in Travel Mesa Verde National Park Forum "Re: Mesa Verde National Park -..."
- Uploaded a Video to Atsion
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Hovenweep National Monument Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Burlington Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leadville Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Allaire State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atsion Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Tabernacle Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22161 Reviews - 53866 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30893 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23058 Reviews - 47256 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17013 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1908 Reviews - 4459 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7630 Reviews - 19467 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos