"Warbirds over Wanaka 2006" Wanaka Travelogue by kiwi
Wanaka Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 355 photos
April 2006 and we were headed for a mountain trek in Mt Aspiring National Park. That mean driving past the airport at Wanaka, where the Warbirds were gathering for this year's airshow. Something of a tease, to be there but not able to stop. These photos were all taken from the coach, through the windows. As you can see the day was glorious. This was Friday, the practice day.
The Catalina is always a huge attraction, and its sound and form flying slowly through the air are unmistakeable.
Wouldn't you know it! I walked back to the coach from the lake and then the Catalina decided to do a "Touch and Go" on the water. I didn't have time to run back down to the waterfront. This photo is the best I could do though. Well it's something, and you can see the lovely backdrop. You can just see the water at the bottom of the photo.
They were still setting up but most things were in place when we drove past. This was likely the best day weatherwise, but I hear the weather was still ok over the weekend for the airshow. This venue is amazing and magical with the snowy mountains around and about.
The Nanchangs and Laks (I can never tell them apart) were lined up for all to see. Later they would be putting on a refined display of their agility.
No airshow is complete without the Hurricane and the Spitfire. Look carefully and you can see these two stars in the photo. They are both true favourites of mine, and a lot of other people's too :-)
Also, along with static aircraft displays there is a Transport and Toy Museum at Wanaka Airport.
Looks like the Hanna's Old Flying Machine Company has set up a kiwi base here too. They are a well known UK aircraft restoration and display company. Sadly Ray Hanna died last year, and his flying son Mark was killed flying a display aircraft back in 1999. Ray was originally from New Zealand, but Mark was born and raised in the UK.
More Travelogues (2)
Written Feb 9, 2013
Warbirds over Wanaka
Written Aug 12, 2003
Spitfires come out to play.
kiwi's Related Pages
Wanaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wanaka! My fav town in South Island!"
- "Warbirds, wonderful scenery and more .."
- "My base camp for NZ snow experience"
- "Wanaka on Lake Wanaka"
- "SCENIC WANAKA"
- "Wanaka and Queenstown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wanaka
- Hotels in Wanaka
- Transportation in Wanaka
- Nightlife in Wanaka
- Restaurants in Wanaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Wanaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wanaka
- 2 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Wanaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wanaka
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 88 reviews, 196 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Wanaka hotel reviews
- Lakeside Serviced Apartments Wanaka
- 164 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Flag Hotel Mount Aspiring
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Wanaka Stonehouse Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2011
- YHA Wanaka
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Cardrona Hotel
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Te Wanaka Lodge Wanaka
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- The Moorings
- 123 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Wanaka Hotel
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013