"The Woodlands" Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Travelogue by H-TownJourneyman
Houston Travel Guide: 1,263 reviews and 2,167 photos
The Woodlands is a community located to the north of Houston, and is one of the it's largest surburban areas. What started in 1974 as a small, master planned suburban neighborhood located on an old mill site has blossomed into a large urban area with over 60,000 residents. As it's name hints of, The Woodlands prides itself on being a community amongst a natural setting, as the pine trees that are native to this area are still incredibly plentiful. Now not only a residential area for people working or playing in Houston, the community has a number of large businesses, as well as many new places of entertainment, hotels, restaurants & nightlife in it's own right. It is a beautiful place to live, as well as visit.
Growing up very near The Woodlands, there really wasn't much up here 15 years ago except a few neighborhoods and a handful of restaurants. Boy, has that changed! Several major corporations now call the area home, including Anadarko Oil Company, and Maersk Sealand Shipping. Instead of people commuting to Houston, which is still mostly the case, many people live as well as work right here in the community. It is incredible to see the amount of businesses and companies that have settled in here. Proof of this is the 32 story Anadarko Tower located here. A skyscraper in The Woodlands?!! Never would have imagined it!
Now with a sharp increase in the number of shopping locations, entertainment areas, and restaurants, The Woodlands is becoming a popular place for people from Houston and surrounding areas to visit. With the construction of The Waterway, a small man made river with many attractions along it's course, quite a number of visitors discover this area can be quite relaxing, as well as fun. Many new hotels are poping up here, including the huge Woodlands Waterway Marriott. And the outdoor Market Street shopping area is a great location to grab a bite to eat, catch a movie, and of course, take care of that much needed shopping fix! Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion has outdoor concerts and events throughout much of the year, giving people another reason to come up, and make a little getaway out of it.
What sets The Woodlands apart from other urban locations is very simple: It doesn't SEEM all that urban! It's amazing that a community this large can retain such a natural setting. This is what I have always enjoyed about, and I know this is what most of it's residents, as well as it's visitors, feel as well. There is quite a bit to see and do here, but it's refreshing to not be choked by the everyday concrete and glass sites of Urbantown, U.S.A. Just a lovely community, with a not-so-city-like atmosphere!
- See All Fancy-Schmancy Downtown Nightclub
- See All Restaurant, Brewery, Sports Bar: Call It...
- See All Old World Style In Downtown Houston!
- See All Houston Turkish Festival
- See All The Port Of Houston/Houston Ship Channel
- See All Houston Astrodome
- See All Mega Mall of The Woodlands
- See All The Historic Rice Hotel Building
- So You're Traveling To Houston?!
- Feeling HOT HOT HOT!!!
- Space Center Houston - This is NASA?
- See All Beware Of The Speed Traps!
- See All Choose Hobby Airport
Been to Houston?Share your travels with the world!
H-TownJourneyman's Related Pages
Houston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "H-Town, Texas! My Hometown!"
- "Houston, Texas; Beyond Oil, Heat and Space"
- "Home, Home on the Range"
- "Hidden Huston"
- "Houston: Home to the Rodeo and Oil Business"
- "Houston, Texas"
- "4th Largest City in the USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Houston
- Hotels in Houston
- Transportation in Houston
- Nightlife in Houston
- Restaurants in Houston
- Shopping in Houston
- Warnings and Dangers in Houston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Houston
- 102 Reviews
- 109 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Houston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Houston
- Uploaded a Photo to "Houston International Festival"
- Posted in Travel Houston Forum "Re: Houston to Galveston"
- updated a Houston Travel Page "H-Town, Texas! My Hometown!"
- Wrote a Review Fancy-Schmancy Downtown Nightclub about Night Clubs in Houston Nightlife
- Commented on one of MarvintheMartian's Houston travel pages
Photos in HoustonSee All Photos (109)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 101 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Intro, 102 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galveston Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alanya Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Oahu Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Turkey Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Antalya Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos