"Gay Parade 1" New Toronto Travelogue by Martman

New Toronto Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 146 photos

The parade is always full of the so-called Drag Queens i.e. men dressed as women. Maybe they are Women in Men's bodies dressed as women? This beautiful picture above is one example!

Welcome to the first of my six albums on the Toronto Gay Parade. Wow, but I have accumulated many pictures! Some of the pictures were obtained from trading with a friend. Though I took the majority of the pictures, they were not all taken by me.

I have just completed inserting the pictures. Over the next few weeks, I will be adding my comments with the pictures.

If you want a bit more trivia, these pictures were taken long before I purchased my digital camera. I had the pictures put onto a disc to load into my computer!

The Gay parade is an annual event held in the summer in Toronto. I originally expected just a normal regular parade. When I saw this one for the first time, I was in for a huge surprise. This parade is anything but regular. The floats and costumes are spectacular. Participants were dressed in outrageous costumes. Others were not dressed at all! Each exhibit is more exotic and spectacular than the next. I am personally not Gay at all. After seeing the first parade, however, I decided to do my best to watch the parade each year after that.

What really intrigued me was to see behavior far removed from anything that I grew up with. I am not being judgmental or saying anything was immoral. I am simply saying this was a culture shock for me.

I remember one parade as an example. The first float was a fire engine. Standing proudly on that fire engine, was Mel Lastman who was then the mayor of Toronto. With a huge water gun, he squirting the audience as the float drove by. How I grew up, I would never imagine that happening!

The parade also had nudity. Remember, we talking about people walking through the central streets of the city at an event where families come to watch. I remember one parade, for example, two men skipped down the street together, holding hands and waving at the spectators with their other hand. The two of them wore running shoes, sox and nothing else!

This is an example of one of the spectacular floats. Lots of hours must have been used preparing these excellent exhibits.

I have seen this parade so many times, that I have accumulated many pictures. To display even the best ones only, would require a few albums. We are limited to 5 albums per destination. My Toronto quota is nearly reached.

To obviate this problem, I created a new destination, namely New Toronto, a specific area of what is today Toronto. This misleads slightly, as the parade is in Toronto. I am simply using this VT destination as extra storage for my Toronto albums. Consequently, please treat these as Toronto pages.

I never knew that a fire truck could have so much activity on it!

Ofcourse there is nothing wrong with exchanging and using other peoples pictures, provided permission is given.

Most of these pictures were taken by me. Six of them (arguably the best!)
are from VT member April, (username April_M)
Those with a date in the bottom right corner, were given to me by a friend called Lisa. Thank you April and Lisa.

I am open to correction, but believe that these ladies are exposing more than just the large sign. Even after clicking to enlarge, it is difficult to tell properly what is exposed. Maybe that is better that we cannot tell properly!

According to their website, the next parade is:

Sunday, June 25, 2006, 2:00 pm
<- True, except that date has since past. Unfortunately I never went this year hence no more pics!

Buses were often used. Many times the bus riders were not Gay but associated e.g. I have seen a bus with a sign "parents of Gays" etc.

To reach the Gay Pride website (external from VT) click here:

GAY PRIDE You can use it to learn more, including when the next parade is.

I myself am not Gay, but certainly respect their rights fully and do enjoy watching the parade very much! In my opinion, each year the parade is better than the previous. So long as it keeps getting better, all the more reason to keep returning!

In this picture, we we do not see much of the parade itself. We do, however, have some indication of the huge number of specators! If you look carefully, you will notice some parading clowns!

Below are links to all the albums.
Gay Parade Album 1

Gay Parade Album 2

Gay Parade Album 3

Gay Parade Album 4

Gay Parade Album 5

I also wish to mention that I found a really nice album of the San Francisco Gay Parade among the VT pages. If that interests you, I offer the link:

Gay Pride Parade San Francisco

• Page Updated Jul 4, 2006

Comments

Badges & Stats in New Toronto

Have you been to New Toronto?

Latest Activity in New Toronto