"Invitation to Zen" Personal Page by smilyst9

From the Well of Wisdom...

"People say, "Well, it seems that freedom for man consists of choosing his own brand of slavery. I work eight hours a day, and if I get a promotion, I'll have to work twelve. I got married, and now I have no time to myself. I looked for God, and now I have to attend cult meetings, masses and other religious ceremonies. Everything that's important in life -- love, work, faith -- winds up becoming a burden that's too heavy to bear." The master says: "Only love allows us to escape. Only love turns slavery into freedom. "If we cannot love, it is better to stop now. Jesus said: 'Better to be blind in one eye than for the entire body to perish in darkness.' "Hard words. But true."

"It is easy to be difficult. All we have to do is stay away from people, and in that way, avoid suffering. That way, we don't have to risk love, disappointment, frustrated dreams. It is easy to be difficult. We don't have to be concerned about phone calls we should have made, people who ask us for help, charity that should be extended. It is easy to be difficult. We just have to pretend that we live in an ivory tower, and never shed a tear. We just have to spend the rest of our lives playing a role. It is easy to be difficult. All we have to do is reject everything good that life offers."

"Often it is easier to love than to be loved. "We find it hard to accept the help and support of others. Our attempts to appear independent deprive others of the opportunity to demonstrate their love. "Many parents, in their old age, rob their children of the chance to show them the same affection and support they received as children. Many husbands (and wives), when they are overtaken by affliction, feel ashamed at depending upon others. As a result, the waters of love do not spread. "You should accept a gesture of love from someone. You have to allow others to help you, to give you the strength to go on. "If you accept such love with purity and humility, you will understand that Love is neither
giving nor receiving -- it is participating."

"Eve was walking through the Garden of Eden, when the serpent approached her. "Eat this apple," he said. Eve, well taught by God, refused. "Eat this apple," the serpent insisted. "Because you have to become more beautiful for your husband." "I don't need it," Eve answered. "He has no one else but me." The serpent laughed: "Of course he does." Since Eve did not believe him, he took her to the top of a hill where there was a well. "She's down there. That's where Adam hid her." Eve looked in and saw a beautiful woman reflected in the water. And then she ate the apple the snake offered."

"If we were half as good at being good humans
As the dogs are at being good dogs
Or the trees are at being good trees
Or the bugs are at being good bugs
Or the stones are at being good stones
The tears we'd save could make green all the deserts
The songs we'd sing could lift God's darkest mood."

• Page Updated Mar 27, 2012

Comments

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!

smilyst9

“A traveler am I and a navigator, and every day I discover a new region within my soul.”

Real Name