"Saturday January 21st" Greater London Travelogue by Dabs
Greater London Travel Guide: 25,930 reviews and 57,468 photos
Both Ed (Kaspian) and I had recently been to the Tower of London so we decided to start the day off with a trip up to Camden, taking the double decker bus now that we had mastered the bus system :-) We only had a couple of hours but it was enough time to secure the "don't come home without them" Lovehearts for my husband and Dr. Martens boots for Ed's girlfriend plus various other gifts for all those folks back home. I was dying of hunger with all the fabulous smells from all the food booths, uncorruptible Ed made me behave so we would still want to eat lunch with the group.
One of the first people I ran into at Covent Garden was the lovely Jo (jo104) whom I had the pleasure of meeting previously in August 2005. I'm not sure where she disappeared to after I took this shot....
Ed, Jen (jenniflower), Iris (iris2002), a couple of her friends and me endured the dive bombing pigeons in the outdoor area in Covent Garden and ate our lunch. After a bit of a chat, we headed off for the next stop and left the VTers to their shopping at Covent Garden.
After lunch, Ed and I headed over to the Borough Market (more food I couldn't eat since I was full, double drat!), a terrific place for foodies to head on a Saturday afternoon when the market is in full swing, be sure to check out Neal's Cheese shop should you be in the area.
Southwark Cathedral is right next to the Borough Market and was the real reason I dragged Ed down to this section of town.
I had read so much about the Wobbly bridge (Millennium Bridge) that I insisted that we cross the Thames there instead of crossing over near the Borough Market. Good thing I did, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten to see the whale.
As we were crossing the Wobbly Bridge, we noticed all the helicopters hovering over the Thames and boats racing down it so I thought perhaps it had something to do with the whale. Sure enough, this barge passed by with the whale on top and we had a front row seat to see it. We had thought we had this really cool travel story to tell, heroic whale rescue on the Thames, alas, it was not to be as the whale died before they could get it to open water. I'm still bummed out :-(
Dabs' Related Pages
Greater London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SURROUNDED BY AIRPORTS"
- "London, I love the place"
- "HOME SWEET HOME"
- ""When you're tired of London You're tired of life"
- "CAMDEN is COOL"
- "The Beatles in London"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greater London
- Hotels in Greater London
- Transportation in Greater London
- Nightlife in Greater London
- Restaurants in Greater London
- Shopping in Greater London
- Warnings and Dangers in Greater London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greater London
- 298 Reviews
- 562 Photos
- 1,384 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Greater London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greater London
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 410 reviews, 599 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 265 reviews, 473 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues