"Saturday January 21st" Greater London Travelogue by Dabs

Greater London Travel Guide: 25,930 reviews and 57,468 photos

Camden Town

Both Ed (Kaspian) and I had recently been to the Tower of London so we decided to start the day off with a trip up to Camden, taking the double decker bus now that we had mastered the bus system :-) We only had a couple of hours but it was enough time to secure the "don't come home without them" Lovehearts for my husband and Dr. Martens boots for Ed's girlfriend plus various other gifts for all those folks back home. I was dying of hunger with all the fabulous smells from all the food booths, uncorruptible Ed made me behave so we would still want to eat lunch with the group.

Lunch at Ponti's in Covent Garden

One of the first people I ran into at Covent Garden was the lovely Jo (jo104) whom I had the pleasure of meeting previously in August 2005. I'm not sure where she disappeared to after I took this shot....

More lunch

Ed, Jen (jenniflower), Iris (iris2002), a couple of her friends and me endured the dive bombing pigeons in the outdoor area in Covent Garden and ate our lunch. After a bit of a chat, we headed off for the next stop and left the VTers to their shopping at Covent Garden.

After lunch

After lunch, Ed and I headed over to the Borough Market (more food I couldn't eat since I was full, double drat!), a terrific place for foodies to head on a Saturday afternoon when the market is in full swing, be sure to check out Neal's Cheese shop should you be in the area.

Southwark Cathedral

Southwark Cathedral is right next to the Borough Market and was the real reason I dragged Ed down to this section of town.

Wobbly Bridge

I had read so much about the Wobbly bridge (Millennium Bridge) that I insisted that we cross the Thames there instead of crossing over near the Borough Market. Good thing I did, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten to see the whale.

Whale "rescue" on the Thames

As we were crossing the Wobbly Bridge, we noticed all the helicopters hovering over the Thames and boats racing down it so I thought perhaps it had something to do with the whale. Sure enough, this barge passed by with the whale on top and we had a front row seat to see it. We had thought we had this really cool travel story to tell, heroic whale rescue on the Thames, alas, it was not to be as the whale died before they could get it to open water. I'm still bummed out :-(

• Page Updated Jul 20, 2006

Comments

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Greater London

• 1,384 Forum posts

Have you been to Greater London?

Latest Activity in Greater London