"Ten things I've done worth mentioning...." Personal Page by kenmerk
This list would probably be a little different depending on when I sat down and thought about it, but here are some of the more memorable travel experiences I've had over the years: (in no particular order.....)
(1) Inside the Great Pyramids (Egypt): Though you have to fight thru the maddening tourist schlock to get to do this, it is a pretty surreal experience to descend the tunnel into these ancient tombs...
(2) Dive Chuuk Lagoon (FSM): Japanese fleet at the bottom of the lagoon, probably the best wreck diving locale in the world....
(3) Imelda's Shoes (Philippines): Can't do this no more, but back in the early '90's, Malacang Palace was open to visitors in Manila. (back when Cory Aquino was President....) Back then, they had all of Imeldas shoes, and most of her other wardrobe items on display... (Presumably to embarass the Marco's) You also got a look at their Royal bathroom suite with solid gold water basin and commode... (it's good to be King!!!) Unfortunately the palace is now sealed off again, and the shoes are probably in storage somewhere.....
(4)Franz Josef Glacier Hiking (NZ): Squeezing through the narrow cracks in the ice falls....
(5) Snorkel Jellyfish Lake (Palau): Swim thru clouds of jelly fish that are so thick you cant barely see each other.... Feels like you enter another world...
(6) Hike in the Shan State (Burma): I actually had one of those Columbus moments in northern Burma once. (First caucasian to visit one of the mountain villages there....) Fortunately, the natives were friendly and well stocked in moonshine....
(7) Juggling Fire (Florida): ell, I used to be in the carney, or something like that... (I'll never tell) ;o))))
(8) Hike on the Great Wall (China): I'd like to, hope to, plan to, see more of this....
(9)Pohnpei Pig Party (FSM): Slaughter a pig, and swill cup after cup of Sakau with the locals.... (Your legs will fail to operate properly after a spell...)
(10) Dive the Galapagos (Ecuador): Schooling hammerheads and whalesharks... If big marine life at close proximity appeals to you, then this is the place for you....
(10+) Couple of others worth consideration: Two steps into North Korea at Panmunjom, Temples of Angkor Wat, Skiing in Hokkaido, cave diving in the Yucatan, Various places around India (Varanasi, Taj Mahal, Ellora/Anjanta), Most anywhere in Italy, Sailing around Bimini, Thresher Shark diving in Malapascua, Borneo Jungle Hiking at Kinabatangan, and Red Sea Diving...
(10++) Other strange travel trivia:
Passport Stamps: I have an entry stamp for Greece in my passport, but have never been to that country. Got two exit stamps for Italy, but have only been there once.... (this tidbit once required quite a bit of explaining at Fiumicino Airport: " No you cannot leave because our paper work shows you are already gone.....")
Fantasy Island: I was in Pohnpei, FSM scuba diving on 9/11/01, and ended up stuck there for an extra week. Kinda like being on Fantasy Island, when the plane stops coming.... "BOSS, NO PLANE, NO PLANE..." Worse yet, all cargo pretty much comes onto the island by air, so we came pretty darn close to drinking the island dry of beer waiting for cargo flights to resume... ;o))))
Volcano Problems: I was in Manila the day that Mt. Pinatubo erupted in 1991. (Not easy to explain to your boss whyo you cant come back to work... cause the airport is closed....) "See,,,, I need to take a few Volcano days....."
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,169 Reviews
- 1,601 Photos
- 32 Countries
- 90 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
- Commented on ukirsari's profile page
updated their Profile Page "Home Sweet Home"
- Wrote a Review Manta Ray Bay Hotel in State of Yap Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Manta Ray Bay Hotel"
- updated a State of Yap Travel Page "Yap"
- kenmerk and archivalganessa are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Taiwan Forum "Re: Driving in Taiwan"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 40 reviews, 43 photos
- Burma Intro, 38 reviews, 40 photos
- State of Pohnpei Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Chuuk Intro, 31 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palau Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kengtung Intro, 31 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Redang Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lan Yu Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22200 Reviews - 54009 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23039 Reviews - 47275 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11942 Reviews - 26476 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7702 Reviews - 19813 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3342 Reviews - 7500 Photos