"Huoshan Gongyuan (Volcano Park)" Tengchong Travelogue by joecooper
Tengchong Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 25 photos
We arrived at the volcano park early in the morning and as soon as we got there orgnaised for a hot air balloon ride over the volcanoes. We made our way to the foot of Dakong Shan (Big Empty Hill) and waited for the balloon to be inflated....
Once up in the air we could take in some fantastic views including Dakong Shan (Big Empty Hill). It also saved us having to climb all those steps!
To the left is Heikong Shan, a huge crater...
From this area our taxi took us 16km to another part of the park, which was only viewable by prior arrangement....
We parked at the top of a valley looking over a river which was huge by English standards but wasn't even named on my map! As we made the descent to the banks we could make out strange white rock deposits on the side of the hill, more evidence of the extrodinary geology of the area...
We crossed the river on a suspension bridge and followed a narrow man-made causeway no more than 1 metre wide with fast flowing river and channel on each side!
This took us to an immense weir with some kind of sluice system operated from a stone building.
The surrounding cliffs were made of huge columns of volcanic stone - whilst this was the main attraction, actually getting there proved to be the most interesting
joecooper's Related Pages
Tengchong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Volcanoes, hot springs and marshes..."
- "Tengchong, Yunnan Province"
- "People are afraid to come here"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tengchong
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Tengchong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tengchong
Photos in TengchongSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos
- Slovenia Intro, 14 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 22 reviews, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 31 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues