"Grand Canyon "drifting"" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Travelogue by Martin_S.
Grand Canyon National Park Travel Guide: 565 reviews and 1,395 photos
As always, day after day, mile after mile, the scenery in the Grand Canyon never ceased to amaze and awe me, a little piece of primal earth all to ourselves without millions of tourists gawking and screaming at their children, peace and quiet was the call of the day.
You can see in the forground the ammo boxes, painted white and each having a number on it. These were used to keep or personal belongings dry during the day, like camers, sunglasses and sunscreen that all needed to be at hand, but you did not want to lose in the rapids.
In places the cliffs were close to hand as we floated below them, seeming almost to close out the sky.
Here you can get a good idea of the size of our rafts, in our compliment we were two rafts, each with two guides and half our people...we were only 19 rafters on rafts that can hold 14 + 2 guides EACH...The motor, located in the far rear was very quiet and you could usually not even hear it, just on the extremely quiet sections of the river and then the guides would often shut it off and just let us drift. You did not have to worry about hearing this motor in the rapids.....
Here is a beautiful example of the colors in the area, the contrasts between the nearer canyon walls and those in the distance. As you raft the canyon you see exposed layers of rock that go back into ancient history about 2 billion years...all these layers have fancy names like Moenkopi Formation, Hermit Shale, Gardenas Basalt and even Bass LImestone, all dating from different periods from the Mesozoic to the Porterozoic....and don't ask me to pronouce those please.
Don't leave home without one. A Master Guide is the one who can "read the river" and take you safely through rapids that would throw you for a loop or suck you under.
This is Vulcan's Anvil at mile 178, an enormous boulder sitting in the middle of the river. About the size of a small house.
Here in the area of Lava Falls, the geology of the area has many outcroppings of lava, here the lava has dried and split into six sided oblongs following the direction of its flow when it cooled.
More Travelogues (1)
Martin_S.'s Related Pages
Grand Canyon National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grand Canyon, Colorado River Rafting"
- "Getting to the Bottom of the Grand Canyon"
- "Grand Canyon is a lot of things to a lot of people"
- "A Walk Through Time"
- "Grand Means Big and Deep Canyon"
- "Let's go rafting!!"
- "A Sunrise in October"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Canyon National Park
- Hotels in Grand Canyon National Park
- Transportation in Grand Canyon National Park
- Nightlife in Grand Canyon National Park
- Restaurants in Grand Canyon National Park
- Shopping in Grand Canyon National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Canyon National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Canyon National Park
- 60 Reviews
- 207 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Grand Canyon National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Canyon National Park
- Posted in Travel Israel Forum "Re: 3 Weeks in September?"
- Commented on one of dln6874's Grand Canyon National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review From Bar-10 to Page, getting home about Rafting in Grand Canyon National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "From Bar-10 to Page, getting home"
- updated a Grand Canyon National Park Travelogue "Flora and Fauna in the Grand Canyon"
Photos in Grand Canyon National ParkSee All Photos (207)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arad Intro, 177 reviews, 323 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 77 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southern District Intro, 99 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 207 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 52 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 62 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 61 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 151 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues